C-section vs vaginal birth

My sister got into an argument w/a boy at work tonight. He said that having a c-section was the best way for a women to have a baby. That it was the safest for mom and baby. He also said that a women's vagina will never go back to the same size.

Does anyone agree? I have never heard of this way of thinking.

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Health

• actually when i was going through childbirth classes i read that it snaps back better... it's designed to adjust to childbirth. our bodies are very flexible and designed to heal themselves. i think c-section is a great choice when there are problems or potential major problems, but i also feel like cutting through the stomach muscles is also a potential for permanent problems. the childbirth process signals the body to make adjustments, as does breastfeeding.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• both of those are incorrect. the risks with a c-section are much higher than with a vaginal delivery, infant and mother mortality rates are higher with c/s. and as for her vagina going back to normal size, a lot of women have said that they actually feel tighter after having a baby. as long as she does kegels and keeps her muscles toned down there, there's no reason why she should be looser.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:50 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• ask my dh. I have had 4 kids and he has no complaints. God made us to have babies...Duh to the boy at work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• pregnancy and childbirth is not an illness. a c-section is a major abdominal surgery.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I had to have a c-section or I would lose my son. The doctors told me that healing time was a lot quicker with a c-section that with regular child birth. I really don't have anything to compare that to since he was my fist child. And I do not think that the c-section was dangerous at all. They have so much technology and I am happier that I had the surgery then risking my child's life. But, I don't think that regular child birth is any more dangerous. They have you hooked up to all kinds of machines in the hospital no matter what. I think that you just have to make up your own mind with what is right for you.
    Lindsey0808

Answer by Lindsey0808 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I absolutely do not agree; your sister is way off base here.

I have had one vaginal delivery and one c-section (emergency situation) and I wouldn't wish a c-section on anybody. Recovery time is much longer than delivering vaginally; it is major surgery. I would take 10 vaginal deliveries over 1 c-section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• He's a guy... he has no idea what he's talking about! tell your sister to ignore him!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:59 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I had a c-section and it sucks. He's a guy so why should have care? Its never anything he'll go through.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• thats why i wish guys could go through labor and deliveries so they can see for themselves
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Perhaps he should get his information from somewhere beside his buddies----
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008