Whats the best way to get your 12mos old off a bottle?

My daughter is a year old and I haven't taken her off the bottle yet. She is off formula, but she drinks milk in it. She only really wants it when she's tired. I know its more of a comfort thing. I just don't know how to start. She won't sleep without it and I NEED to get her off of it cause she's got 4 teeth and I know it's bad for her at nite in her crib.

kaileysmom1807

Asked by kaileysmom1807 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did the you can only have water in the bottle, if they wanted anything else they had to get t in a cup. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I say just don't give them to her anymore. Have her throw it in the garbage herself. Then just be prepared to hear her cry for a couple of days, but after that she'll be fine. If you don't have the heart to do that, only put water in her bottle, anything else comes from a sippy cup. Good Luck...
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• try a cup with a silicon nipple!its very similar to a bottle but helps make the switch to a cup!and let her know she isnt getting the bottle even if she gets mad!she will probably get used to the cup when she realizes its her only option!and if she doesnt like the silicone nippled cup try various sippys till she decides she like one of them!!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 1:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i just took it and dident give it back and dident give in. It was hard for the first night and that was it!
    softchick21

Answer by softchick21 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• my son and daughter were easy to break from the bottle with my son i got tired of washing them so i told him he couldnt have it no more and gave him a sippie cup he was fine and my daughter broke herself because she say her brother with a sippie and she would take his
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• If you are just worried about the bottle at night then just switch to water at night in the bottle. That's how I got my son to stop taking one to bed. However, he is 2 and still uses his bottle for milk in the morning and at night before bed.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with the answers of tippie cup only. Water in the bottle will probably work too. Stay strong. It may help to have the child pick their own tippie cup to drink out of. That will make the child feel it is their choice to use a tippie cup.
    Meerkatie

Answer by Meerkatie at 11:29 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't know how to do it when they have teeth. I took both of my girls of the bottle at about 6 months and used the soft sippy (NUBY silicone sippy, spill proof, GREAT) once they got control of it then I put them on the regular sippy. Also don't know what to do about letting kids have bottles/sippies in bed because I NEVER let them have them then. The milk or juice, whatever is in it, sits in the back of there mouth and gets into their gums and rots them from the inside. Well that's what MY mom and aunt (who's a dentist) told me and it scared me enough to not do it... lol GOOD LUCK
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I know this is going to sound bad....but I JUST got my DD who is 2 off the bottle last month....for the last year she has only drank water in it....she was just attached to it she would take it to bed with her and kiss it good night...but one day after her nap she wanted me to fill her bottle up and I told her that it was all yucky and needed to go in the garbage and she could have her sippy (wich she would drink milk out of) so she threw it away and she did just fine but that night it was hell....but she hasn't had it sence she threw it away....If I knew it would be only one night of crying then I would have done it along time ago...good luck
    onemommy4kaylee

Answer by onemommy4kaylee at 2:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2008