What do you fix your school age kids for breakfast?

Mine are 5 and 7 and getting tired of the same thing. The only thing they will always eat is cereal (usually Cheerios or Frosted mini wheats)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• School days are hectic and my kids were not good with moving along in the morning so I usually will give them cereal or poptarts or something that doesn't take a lot of time to put together.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• my kids love cereal too, and about 2 or 3 days a week they have that. A variety of different healthy ones, kashi, Alpine museli, cheerios, etc. Then I try to make something else at least 2 days during the week, like eggs and toast, pancakes, eggs and bacon, a smoothie and toast, oatmeal.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Nothing.  My kids are responsible for getting their own breakfast.  They are always up before me and usually have already eaten by the time I get up.  They have cereal.  Occasionally we have other stuff to choose from.  We used to have a toaster and they knew how to make toast.  My 10yo knows how to make oatmeal in the microwave.  Or they can warm up leftover pancakes.  Sometimes we have bagels or English muffins in the house. 

They are 10, 9, almost 8 and 4 1/2 and have been responsible for their own breakfast since the older 3 were like 4, 5 and 6.  I only make breakfast when I feel like it (on weekends, never on a school day).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son loves egg white omlettes with veggies, piece of fruit and some yogurt. He likes oatmeal with berries, french toast and banana pancakes
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 2:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• OMG- I would feel terrible if my 4, 5 and 6 year olds had to make their own breakfasts...that is plain old sad :( I"m all for giving the kids resposiblities, but thats a bit extreme...
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• sometimes cold cereal, cheerios of some sort. I will sometimes mix plain cheerios with another kind (choc, fruity etc)

On the weekends when I make our big Sunday B'fasts I make extra pancakes or french toast for school days just microwave them for a fast school day B'fast. Instead of syrup throw some fruit in blender for a fruit topping ( strawberries, blueberries, apples)
    I some times make a "racer B'fast sandwich" (son LOVES RACING) which is a flour tortilla shell spread P' butter on it and a banana or apple slices roll it up quick healthy B'fast
    I have also been known to make a B'fast pizza you can make your own shell or use the pre-made ones top with scrambled eggs veggies, and cheese

He loves fresh fruit yougurt as well. I will sometimes toss wheat gern or grape nuts on top of the yogurt
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We have a rotating menu. Today it was fruit and yogurt and a hard boiled egg. We also do cereal, cottage cheese and fruit, pancakes, muffins and sausage links, oatmeal, breakfast pizzas, bird nests, cream cheese on a tortilla, granola bars, omelets, waffles. toast with cinnamon sugar. They have fruit with every meal If you need any ideas, let me know.

I wouldn't make my 5 and 7 year old get their own breakfast either. They could do it, but I rather do it for them while they're still little.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my 17 yr old makes a menu for her and her brother because I am just clueless at 7 am and want to make what they want so it is omlettes, waffles with peanut butter, toast with fruit, pancakes with different types of fruit like blueberry or banana, diced apples, strawberries, you can add any type of fruit to a pancake.
    french toast is huge with my son and so are cinnamon rolls. Everything I make is served with V8 smoothie drinks or V8 splash juices, and if my young son does not want what is on the menu he gets a tall glass of ovaltine
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I fix hot breakfest for them pancakes, waffles, eggs, biscuits & gravy it just depends on the day what they get
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A lot of mornings my son just wants cereal, but now that it is getting colder he is more into hot breakfasts so I will make pancakes, eggs, toast, oatmeal, french toast, things like that..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2010