How early did you take your child off formula?

My daughter is 13 months, almost 14 and Wic said to take her off formula when she was 1 year. So I am. I am using up all the rest of the formula so I won't waste it (it's almost gone) and then I am just going to have her on whole milk and solids. My mom says that I should still give her formula because of the nutrients and calcium. But she is getting that in her milk and solid food. I'm just wondering if I'm doing the right thing or if I should still continue to use formula.

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DS was 11 and a half months. I wasn't buying another can for 2 weeks. Nothing magic happen on the exactly one year mark IMO. DD was underweight and FTT so she was on formula until she was 18 months but got milk also some after 13 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My oldest 12-13 months and my other DD at 10-11 months we started intoducing her to whole milk like half formula half whole milk til she was 1 yr.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The WIC people told me to take my daughter off her formula when she turns a year. I do have her off her bottle lol.
    ProudMommie83

Answer by ProudMommie83 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I took all my kids off of formula (and breastmilk) between 11 and 12 mos. We just started weaning the milk into her formula.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 2:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We started transitioning my son off at 11 months per pediatricians instructions. But due to health issues my son is still on a formula even now at 28 months. But he takes it in a sippy.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 2:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We stopped it cold turkey at one year. We didn't use very much anyway so he didn't seem to notice or care. My son is underweight and the ped still told us to discontinue it at a year. Personally I am happier with him drinking milk than drinking all those chemicals. It's easier too.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• after a year they are getting the nutrients they need with milk and solids so formula isn't needed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You should listen to your doctor more than WIC. But most doctors recommend taking babies off formula at age 1 and going to whole milk. My mom didn't think I should take my son off of bottles or formula that early either, but I pointed out to her that she breastfed her kids, and that we were fat babies, so she can't really tell me about nutrition, that's what a dr is for. Switching to whole milk is just fine as soon as u run out of formula, and even if they're on the bottle for another month or two oh well. I started giving my son milk in his bottles for bed time but in a sippy cup for day time and he was weaned off bottles a couple months after his first birthday
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010