How and WHEN to potty train!

My son is almost 11 months and has been walking since 7 months.He is a very smart boy and points to his diaper when he is doing it!I tried sitting him on the potty but he screamed like he was being beat!I triend showing him mommy and daddy have to sit on the potty but he laughs and runs!I am expecting another now (21 weeks) and i know it will be hard with 2 in diapers!how do i get him to start going in the potty or letting me know when he needs to??

mommydabbs

Asked by mommydabbs at 1:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have 4 kids and tryimg to make a kid potty train is like beating your head against a brick wall. They have to do it on their own. Of course you can still encourage.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I would buy a little potty for him. Big ones can be scary! We give my daughter a small piece of cookie or cracker when she sits on the potty. This keeps her there long enough to go. If she goes in the potty, she gets a chocolate chip, and a song as we take the little toilet to the big potty (Simone went pee on the potty, Simone went pee on the potty. Yea Simone! Yea Simone!). Then we dump the pee/poo in the potty and say goodbye. It is a ritual that she really likes!

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Start paying attention to what time they go. First thing in the morning, when they wake up from a nap, and about once an hour get him to sit on the potty. I know it sounds overwhelming! Don't expect to do it all at once. When he is this young. My daughter is 15 1/2 months. We started about 1 1/2 months ago. At this age, it is baby steps. First was getting her to sit on the potty long enough. Then it was getting her to acknowledge that she was going to the bathroom. Little by little.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

• I just remembered. Look up early potty training.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2008