Getting milk supply to dry up?

I gave up on breast feeding. Please do no lecture me, I feel bad enough already that it did not work out. I partially blame all the preassure put on new moms to breast feed for the failure. I pumped enough to give my son a smooth transition into formula, now Im looking for ways to speed up the drying out process. I was told cabbage leaves by some people, and it helps reduce the soreness. Only problem is... they smell HORRIBLE!! How long does it normally take to dry up? These puppies are heavy and REALLY sore.

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ob said to take a benedryle to help dry up the milk and ease the pain.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Apply some cabbage to your breast that helps and also washing your nipples with soap. Soap acts as a stopper because itsgetting clogged up. I asked my OB/GYN and she told me about it.
    ProudMommie83

Answer by ProudMommie83 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• wear a tight bra, do not touch your nipples, when you're in the shower keep your nipples away from the hot water. they'll only be really engorged/painful for 2-3 days. DON'T try to relieve the engorgement but pumping or massaging. put ice backs on your boobs. all these will help your milk dry
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's recommended you express or pump when you feel full. Wearing a tight bra can give you plugged ducts or an infection. Benedryl is compatible with breastfeeding and there is no safe drug to dry up milk. You don't have to use cabbage leaves. There are hydrogel pads that provide cool relief for engorged breasts or you can just use cool cloths.

If the problems you have been having were psychological (pressure?) then talking to a LLL Leader or lactation consultant may help and you may decide to continue pumping or to breastfeed. Since you are feeling bad about not breastfeeding it may be important to explore all your options.

For more info go to

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would check with my OBGYN on how to wean my baby off breast milk and get the milk to dry up as quickly as possible.  I am sorry to hear that the breastfeeding didn't work out for you or your baby.  I know some women for whom the breastfeeding didn't work and for those for whom it did.  In the end, you have to choose what is best for you and your baby.  Good luck, and I hope the it works out for you.

Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 4:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• yeah i'm just letting you know that everything gaill said was a lie. she is a breastfeeding nazi that tries to get women to bf up to 2 years. everything she said to you will make your milk continue to produce. don't listen to anything she says. also a lactation consultant will try to pressure you to bf again
    Anonymous