Do you expect your children to eat what they are served when you go to somebody's home?

AshlyN.

Asked by AshlyN. at 1:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Depends on what kind food it is and they have been expose to in our household.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Just like at home, they either eat what was served or politely decline the food but they don't ask for something else.  It's their choice--eat or don't eat it.

Just like if I'm eating at someone's house and don't like what is being served I just say, "no thank you" and that's it.  I don't demand they make me something else and I don't complain about not liking what they chose to serve.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• This is tough because my kids are still toddlers, so they sometimes don't eat at all in a day! Their eating habits are so unpredictable. If they really don't want to eat, I don't have a problem with that. But I would not expect them to be served something different just because they didn't "like" what they were served at someone else's house, if that's what you mean. And I would not take special requests if other kids were visiting my house either.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Pretty much. I also have 4 separate eaters with different needs. (One is vegetarian, one cant deal with spicy foods, etc...) I try not to impose that on others though. When we are out, if they really can't deal with the food, I quietly ask them to eat what they can and not make a big deal out of it for the host. Since many of my friends are not vegetarians, I also ask if they would like me to bring a dish to contribute. Then I can make something thet the veg can eat, and everyone else can too.

However, at home, the rule is "My job is only to MAKE food for you, it is your job to EAT IT!"
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 1:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Overall, yes, unless it is something they really don't like.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My Son is 3 & eats everything so when we go to someone elses house for dinner he looks forward to tasting different things and we never had a problem. I always offered a large variety of foods to him so he's never been a picky eater.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The rule in our house is that if you have to at least try a new food before you can say you like or dislike it. If he tastes it and doesn't like it then he doesn't have to eat it but there are numerous times where he has actually ended up liking a new food and eaten it all. This same rule applys no matter where we are. I wont force him to eat new foods but I do make him at least taste it to see if he likes it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My kids are toddlers. I perpare their plates. I am sort of picky about what he eats. I try to skip the things that I dont approve of. If it's something new (that's okay) I give him a small portion. He has to try it. He doesnt have to eat it, but he's not getting something different.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes. The only exception would be if it was a food they were allergic to. It wouldn't matter to me if it was something they'd been exposed to, or something I knew they didn't like. Nobody has ever died from swallowing a food they didn't care for.

I remember when I was 10-ish, we had cousins come and stay with us. They were Italian and cooked for us one night. I literally sat through and ate what is without a doubt the most digusting dish ever sat before me (even my mom didn't like it - she likes EVERYTHING). We were at MY house and I still did it, no questions asked. The following night we cooked for them, and their 10 year old daughter had a screaming fit at the table, refusing to eat what we'd cooked, demanding Italian food.

Really, sometimes you have to do things that aren't pleasant for you. Eating foods you don't care for is part of life.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would fix my childs plate and put the foods that he/she likes and leave it at that. I wouldn't want the person that fixed the meal have their feelings hurt because my child didn't like the food, so give them what they like.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010