Curly hair babies...any ideas on how to maintain the curls?

DD is 7 months and has beautiful long curly hair. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with it,comb it? leave it alone? use certain shampoo?
Any suggestions?

lilmansmom13

Asked by lilmansmom13 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd is 1 yr and has really tight curls I brush it(BUT ONLY WHEN WET B/C IT GETS KNOTS!) and I don't use any special anything, I use johnson and johnson
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Bumping this so I can find it later. My 14 month old has short hair with curls at the bottom. I would love for them to stand out more.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thats what I have been using but then not brushing it at all, just combing out the knots she gets in the back of her head from rolling around everywhere!
    lilmansmom13

Comment by lilmansmom13 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My middle dd and I both have very tight ringlet curls and when she was a baby I used Johnson & Johnson shampoo (I personally like the blue flavor), I would comb it only when it was wet and then put in the solid coconut oil that comes in a jar at Walgreens. It's one dollar for a jar that is clear and has a blue lid. You can usually find it in the ethnic hair care section. Just take a tiny tiny bit, rub it in the palms of your hands and then run your hands through her hair. It will leave the curls defined but it WON'T make it look like there is any product in it! When it's wet she will look like a drowned rat :) but when it's dry its gorgeous! If she has lots of hard to comb through tangles after shampooing, use Pearl Drops from Wal Mart. The bottle is clear with a purple top and again just use the tiniest bit. If you use both these products, use the Pearl Drops first. Curly hair craves moisture and that's why it frizzes.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My niece has curly hair and her mother would comb it after a bath and spray the non-tangling spray in it and let her hair air dry.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Cont'd
    I never ever use a brush or a hair dryer on our hair. Curly hair cant tolerate a brush unless it's one that is designed for curly hair. The Pearl Drops are about 6 bucks a bottle and if you only use a dab of each, each time you wash her hair, for her use only it should last at least a year. When my dd and I use them it lasts about 5 mos but then I have a TON of hair too. Try it - I guarantee you'll love them both!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• First off NEVER brush curly hair it breaks if off..you should use a wide tooth comb..spray in the kids spray no more tangles to get the knots out...if the hair is dry and bushy you can use a hair syrum to calm them down just a few drops though or it will look oily and nasty
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I wash my dd's hair and just let it go unless its tangled. I put a tiny dab of product in it to get it to really define and bounce the curls sometimes. But if you comb it, it will just look weird. And it breaks the hair.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010