I know that I shouldn't feel this way but...

...I am 22 years old and I am expecting my second child. I am a cloth-diapering, breastfeeding, holistic practicing, all-natural organic eating, garden growing type of mother. I feel so guilty about not having the opportunity to deliver my children naturally. I had pre-eclampsia with my first and had to be induced at 42 weeks and 6 days. I wasn't dilated at all at almost 43 weeks and my BP was sky high. (continued)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm sorry your feeling this way :( What you have to do is focus on the positive. Your going to be a mom again! I don't think your letting your baby down at all. By receiving medical care, your helping to ensure your baby that your going to be alive to raise him or her, and your also lowering the risks that the baby could get hurt during delivery. Also, your second birth might be much more natural then you expect it to be, 2nd babies are much easier to deliver then the first ones, and at least in my case, my body knew what to do and I didn't go over due with my 2nd and 3rd babies. Try to be positive, it will work out the way it's meant to! :)
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• (continuance)I REALLY wanted to do it au naturale but it just wasn't safe for me or baby. I had a pitocin drip, internal fetal monitoring, an epidural because I STILL wasn't dilating past 4 after 19 hours of labor and I had to have an episiotomy. I was hoping that baby #2 would be different...I am currently 15 weeks gestation with #2 and I have severe PID (due to bacteria entering the cervix during a recent miscarriage), cystic ovaries and high BP. I feel SOO guilty about not being able to give natural birth. I feel like I am letting my child down because I can't offer them the best. Every time I see a post about natural child birth and home birthing I want to cry....has anyone else felt this way? How can I get over it?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• An episiotomy or a c-section? Anyway, I know how you feel. I had a c-section with my 2nd due to a breech baby and felt horribly let down. I've gone on to have 2 VBACS, both induced and the last was drug free. I don't think there's anything wrong with being induced and while having DR's intervene so much in a process that is natural, I'm glad we have that option b/c it's cut down on the mother/infant mortality rate. 150 years ago you and your baby might have died; that isn't likely to happen today. Although it's hard, be thankful for what you CAN do...you're able to breastfeed (some women can't), you're able to be the crunchy, organic mama you want to be...some people don't have the opportunity or the skills to do that. I think you're doing fine, mama! =)
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 6:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i had a similar experiance with my dd. my water broke before i felt any contractions. so after 12 hrs of labor and little progression... i had to get pitocin and a morphine drip. i felt like a failure. after 20 hrs of labor and an hour of pushing, i look at my beautiful daughter, and it was all worth it. you can plan and hope things will go the way you want them to. but being flexible and going with the flow is more impressive than taking a stance against medical intevention. but you can always hope
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 9:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I really wanted to do a natural birth with both my children. My first child, lots of problems delivering, and I had to have lots of medical help. She was born limp and blue. They were able to revive her and she is now 18yrs old. My second child, he was much easier to deliver and was natural. After doing it both ways. I beat myself up on the first delivery. I finally realized what was MOST important was that the children were born healthy and are now smart, healthy young adults which is the ultimate goal.
    Meerkatie

Answer by Meerkatie at 12:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I had and episiotomy...NOT a cesarean section.
    Anonymous