have you ever used layaway for your Christmas shopping?

does it actually help at all and do you really end up paying more for the items because you have to pay interest? this year, my middle and youngest turn 2 and 1 about 4 weeks apart with Christmas smack dab in the middle. I also have to plan Christmas for my oldest. I'm looking to save money the best way possible or figure out a way to buy them a few things but not spend a huge chunk of money at once. Is layaway a good way to go?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My momma RAISED me on lay-a-way! I am so glad the practice has returned....

Most stores do not charge a lot of interest, but you do run the risk of losing money if you decide you do not want the items later. Lay-a-way can be a great way to budget your Christmas without going into massive debt afterwards. Decide upfront how much you really want, or can reasonably afford, to spend on the season. Stick to that budget! Lay-a-way can help since payments are regular, and you get to avoid the crowds and frenzy buying! I know I tend to get caught up in that at the last minute, so I try to STAY AWAY!

Also, I would suggest that since the kids are really young, try not to go overboard and buy tons of junk! (Young kids stuff is usually relatively cheap) Keep it a family practice to buy only a few things that are really really cool. I always hated the massive pile each year only to be lost or broken or discarded days later.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 2:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I use kmart every year for christmas and I use it un july for my sons and little sister bday. There is no interest and you can pay online. It helps me out a ton because I just got there do all my christmas shopping and just sit back and pay it off little by litte
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My sis would always use it at walmart when they had it, my mother also uses it at Burlington, im not sure what the fees are but she uses it almost every year, she has 13 grandchildren so it works for her.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I haven't but I think maybe i'll try it this year.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I used to use it all the time when Walmart still had it. I was so mad when they took it out. When you have to buy for a lot of family, it really helps. There is no interest on layaway by the way. You are only required to put a certain percentage down of your total, usually 20%.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• @wyndenskie, that is another issue i have as all of my girls have so much junk as it is! but i feel i should still recognize the occasions with some gifts. it's going to be hard because i have NO idea what to buy that they don't already have or will be handed down from the older one lol! hopefully they've come out with some new stuff so i can donate some of the old stuff.

thanks ladies for the great advice! someone told me there was interest on layaway but im glad to find out there isn't! :)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We always got a few things on lay away at Walmart when they had it. This year the kids I buy for are getting something from my business and any stuff that needs lay away will be done at Kmart. We don't buy a lot for our son or the nieces and nephews. I dont think Christmas should be a grab fest.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would do it if Kmart wasn't so limited and expensive.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010