What are the biggest problems with the American Justice System?? Can you give examples? What would you do different?

Have you ever been wronged by the Justice system in this country? Please tell me your story!!!

LexsMami

Asked by LexsMami at 3:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I've never been personally involved with the justice system but I hate the fact that they keep letting violent offender's out to re-offend again. There are too many examples to even begin to list but we see it nearly everyday in the news of people who do horrible violent things, and it turns out they have a criminal history a mile long. I don't think children need to be hurt or people murdered before stronger action is taken to keep these kinds of scum away from society. IMO, that's the biggest failure of the justice system.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I think pushing for child support is a big issue, as i know there are many and more important etc, thats just one of them that effects a lot of people in this country. it takes a long time sometimes to get your child support youre supposed to get regardless if you get a lawyer and what not. it took my mother about 6 years to get back pay on child support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I've never been envolved in the justice system as a victim or an offender. I have a minor in Criminal Justice though. I would like the death sentence to have a set limit and a limited number of appeals. They are wasting to much money sitting in our prison system for 20+ years. That is why I love the Iraqi justice system, once you are sentence to death you have 30 days for an appeal and if it is rejected you go to the hanging station. Also, I don't believe that child sexual offenders should be separated from the rest of the prison population, only because those people are extremely evil and don't deserve special treatment. And I would like the defense to be guilty by reasoning of insanity, because not guilty by reason of insanity says that they didn't do it because they are insane, when they did do it so they should be guilty by reason of insanity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I hate the "three strikes, you're out" mentality. First offense should be punishable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Money and Politics. Those who need someone to fight for them, but not having the money to compete with large corporations and the politics those large corp make individuals jump through. Not far from where we live a large thermal paint manufacture tainted has been letting toxins contaminate the soil with Trichlorethylene (TCE) gas. It took many years for homeowners to get anyone to listen. Because this was in an inner city, lower income area, they didn't have the money to initiate the legal battle, and when they did the corporation has more money and kept stalling. This has been going on for at least 10 years and the battle is still going on. So, there are many group s volunteering time, money, and legal svc. The hope is we can help the howeowners to feel empowered to continue the fight
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The family court system in CA is a total joke. I tried for 18yrs to get child support for my son and kept getting told when I can prove he is working then they will go after him. They were more interested in what I made then helping me.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The system is certainly flawed....The first strike is punishable but the third strike means "your out" and you get the fullest extent of the punishment allowed.... I think the justice system should include mercy. By the way, sometimes (actually quite often) it is the zero tolerance or mandatory sentencing guidelines that are the LEAST fair because the court is not allowed to look at the details of the situation to decide on the most reasonable punishment. So, you can wind up with a relatively minor offender with less of a prior record (or even none) getting a longer and more severe sentence than a repeat offender. The system will never be perfect for every case.....but we do have to keep trying! The whole family court system is an entirely different issue.....it tries to address issues that should be a matter of people just being responsible and doing the right thing. There is no replacement for just plain decency.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:01 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• What drives me absolutely crazy is that people can pay their way out of crimes! Like DUI. If you blow above the legal limit---that should be it! No hiring a lawyer and getting off!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thank you ladies! You all have given some great examples!!! Please keep them coming!!!!!
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 1:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I think we reward criminals and punish victims in this country!There was a young girl in California some 8 years ago I believe that was abducted, molested, and killed and the guy is just now going to trial! Can you imagine this poor girl's mother having to wait this whole time for justice to be served in a clear and cut case!It is just disgusting!.A couple of years ago I was on vacation and my SUV was broken into my driver's side window was smashed in and they went through my whole car and took my kids' school books that were in bags all of my daughter's cds, our portable dvd player system, etc. and took everything out of my center console. My car somehow got disabled , I called the local police because the kids were crying and we are on vacation and they proceed to tell me that they don't respond to car break-ins,I have never felt so vulnerable in my life and then the people you expect to help you don't come!
    Anonymous