I noticed a wierd bump...

on the back of my 8 yr olds neck last night. It is about the size of a large peanut maybe or a lima bean and it very noticably sticks out. In fact I saw it when he got up off the couch last night to walk away. I am not sure how long it has been there. Not long I don't think. It is moveable and almost feels soft. It is not discolored or anything abnormal like that. It is on the left side a couple of inches above his shoulder and a couple of inches from the center of his neck. He said it doesn't hurt and he didn't even know it was there until I said something. I am calling the doctor today to see if I can get him in to have it looked at. I actually think it may be a cyst. Whatever it is I just know it shouldn't be there and I am worried about it. Any thoughts from any of you ladies as to what you think it could be?

momma2merks

Asked by momma2merks at 5:30 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Health

• I would say it's a lymph-node and not too worry,it should disolve in time on it's own.BUT, yeah, you need to get it checked out by a doctor . You're a good mama to be concerned . Hope all is goes well Love and God bless
    antiquegirl57

Answer by antiquegirl57 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Its probably a cyst. is it just normal skin color? does it just look like a ball under the skin? you said its moveable so its probably a cyst. My boyfriend had one on his neck as well. He got it removed, and then a doctor later told him that it was stupid for the previous doctor to remove it because there are major arteries there and nerves that could either hurt him, or cause paralyzation (i dont think thats a real word but you get it lol) to that area. Anyway, the dr that removed it said he "did something so it wouldnt come back" well it did, and the next doctor gave him a bunch of meds for it. he couldnt drive or anything because he was so messed up on the drugs the doctor gave him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• well a few weeks after the drugs, his sister gave him this natural stuff & he decided what the hell, nothing else has worked so he took it, and 2 days later, it was gone. this was over a year ago it hasnt came back, and he had the cyst problem for over 2 years previous to that.

let me know if you want more info on the natural stuff he took, i cant remember what its called, but if you want to know i can find out and tell you what it is.

i know it was just this drop liquid stuff that he put into a little cup of water and drank it once a day. it was not a big deal. but it helps with any type of infection that you could get. just let me know :)
    Anonymous

• also, make sure he doesn't ever push on it, or play with it or anything. Make sure its left alone. You're right when you said its not supposed to be there. As it is more than likely not a big deal at the moment, it could get irritated if played and messed around with and become a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• It is normal skin color and does look like a ball under the skin. It doesn't bother him and he has not pain at all from it. I have had cysts on my scalp before which is kind of why I think that maybe what it is. I know those on the scalp are common. I did not realize they were common in other areas too. I will let you know what the doctor says.
    momma2merks

Answer by momma2merks at 8:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• cysts can appear anywhere. I had one on the top of my hand. You are doing the right thing to have the doctor take a look at it. The one on my hand was drained and I was told there was a good chance it would come back. The next time they drained it and then did something that was very cold. It did not come back after that.
    Meerkatie

Answer by Meerkatie at 12:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have an appointment to take him in on Monday morning. They scheduled it as a "surgical" time, just in case they would decide to drain it or remove it. But she also said they may do nothing at all. I will let you know what they say. Ohy! The thought of the word "surgical" makes me sick to my stomach. This is my "danger" child. He's had more then his share of hard knocks in his short 8 years.

momma2merks

Answer by momma2merks at 1:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My 3 yr old has had a very similiar sounding bump and same location -his ped said it was an enlarged lymph node -that it would go away. It never has and she still says that it's nothing to worry about and it's just a big lymph node. So it may be nohing for your son too. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    babipeanut

Answer by babipeanut at 12:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• **UPDATE** The lump is an enlarged lymph node. The doctor said he doesn't now why. There are no signs of infection. He said sometimes it just happens. We are supposed to monitor it. If it gets any larger or gets hard then we will take him back in. I feel better but I want to know why it is enlarged. I don't like the answer that sometimes it just happens. It isn't good enough for me. But considering it is all I am going to get I guess I will have to live with it. I am just grateful it is nothing serious.

momma2merks

Answer by momma2merks at 6:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2008