What have you been doing

to get your almost 4 yr old to learn how to WRITE her name? I am teaching my girl now. I don't want to hear about preschool as I am a sahm now & she learns from us & very bright.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree its practice just like with everything for them right now and be constant. Good luck.
    NalimalanisMom

Answer by NalimalanisMom at 3:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Practice, practice, practice. Have here write name in sand, shaving cream or finger paints. Once she gets more of a feel (literally) for it, switch to a pencil with larger lines. The kind with the dashed lines in between the solid lines. There is also a kind where the lines are raised making it easier for them to feel where to start/stop. My son's preschool had it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i bought her a huge book at target that breaks down each letter, tracing it and everything. we did the whole alphabet in a week or so and then we did her name. it is very simple though "Lily" and she could write it, recognize it on paper and read it by 3.5
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We practiced with a whiteboard with writing lines on it. I would write a letter then she would write a letter until we had written her name out. Then eventually on her own. Be very encouraging and positive, you are her cheerleader! ;)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• it takes time, although she can write it it's not very legible lol. and although we practiced the whole alphabet she can't write every letter yet. my middle child's name is "savannah", that is going to take forever for my poor child to learn lol!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, tracing is necessary first and repeat the letters as you go along. Also let her understand the difference between first and last name. Don't forget learning the ABC song is no the same as learning the ABCs!
    LadyLotus

Answer by LadyLotus at 3:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• When teaching a child to learn to write letters, first we learn to make shapes. Also, make writing practice fun. One a month or so I spray shaving cream on the desks and the kids make shapes and letters after a few months they are writing their names (this also cleans the desks). We practice writing letters in the sand (cover the bottom of a plastic shoe box in sand and let them write with their fingers) and I do magnadoodles for a center. I also give the kids worksheets to practice with. There are fonts out there that you can use to make your own and I do this for my classroom kids to practice their names. Look for ideas on preschool teacher's websites as well and visit a teacher's supply store to see if you might get some ideas there.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• What I did was write her name everywhere in the house. Outside her bedroom door, on a paper I hang up my fridge, on her plate and mugs, on her chair, on her box of toys... I did that when she was 3 and she learn to write it by the time she was 3 and a half. Of course I was always like "show mommy how you can write your name!!" and she was very into it!
    GL :)
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Hi tnm yes I have place mats with the abc's on there which she is tracing slowly but surely she will get it.... her name starts with S and that seems to be the hardest letter for her . She can read things but doing the writing part now so she is ready for Kindergarten. She will be 4 in a couple months.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Preschool!
    Anonymous