Do you have a friend whos' house is GROSS?

I mean, shes not the best housekeeper, neither am i, but...Her house looks and smells so nasty alllll the time, she has an 16 year old boy, and an 8 year old girl. She works part time and so has plenty of time to clean, but she has to force herself to clean...example of her house: Dishes all over the house, half eatten bowls of food all over counters, table, pile of stuff on kitchen table, anything from a newspaper, to bills to dog treats to dirty socks to a half folder pile of laundry. Bathroom-piles of underwear, old towels laying around, sink nasty, things/toothbrushes/empty tp rolls, toothpaste, grime, hair, eewwh. The whole house hasnt been swept in ions, dog hair everywhere, kid toys, laundry baskets, of clean/dirty stuff all over, and it stinks like dog pee everywhere. Shes hass 2 little dogs, who she rarly walks, just lets them go outside once a day to pee, but then has pee mats for them to pee on and dosnt change e

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• conti-
    She changes them every couple days(the pee mats) by then they have soaked through to the floor. She is too lazy to properly house train them. I can barly walk in her house without wanting to puke. I have tried helping her clean, but Im not her maid! lol Ive asked many times if she wanted help cleaning or anything, she just says nah I'll do it later. How can people stand living like that? ewhh.
    minimo77

Comment by minimo77 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My mom lived in a similar situation, but that was because she was in the hospital all the time.
    mama408

Answer by mama408 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would talk to her and maybe she is burried and needs some help? Maybe you as a friend can offer a hand up for someone who is having a problem?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Quite often it is a mental disorder that allows them to live in those conditions.
    If it bothers you that much - don't go in the house.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's likely your friend suffers from ADD. She can't clean because she is too overwhelmed. I am speaking from personal experience. My house was almost as bad. I've learned some life skills one of which is simplify your belongings and another important one is keep on top of the cleaning. I still have my disorganized spots but for the most part my house is clean. There is a great site called flylady.com which may help your friend. Fly stands for Finally loving yourself. I hope she gets help because it's a horrible way to live.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 3:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I've known people like that. I just quit going to their house. I couldn't stand it. I dont know how people live in such conditions but if they don't want to clean it up, well, that's up to them. If its gets too out of control the codes enforcement can come in & deem it unfit for humans (this happened to someone I know after her kids kept showing up to school being all stinky...they sent the school resource officer to her house & when he saw how bad it was he called codes enforcement on her).
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• YES one of the major reasons I ALWAYS avoid going over there. Her place is no place for children to run around.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would invite that friend to my house, but not visit there. I've had family like that and as a child hated being forced to go visit them. Once I was on my own and had a choice, I didn't go. I think it is important for your friend to know that in many cases, a house like this is enough for CPS to remove the children. Even if she doesn't like cleaning she needs to or she could loose her kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Is she a hoarder maybe? My mother in law doesn't clean either, but her house isn't quite as bad, only because she doesn't have dogs. She had a cat but he was just put down last week at 17 years old, and when he was alive it smelled like cat urine and the litterbox was always disgusting. I haven't been over there since he died but I'm sure it's no cleaner. Her kitchen looks like a hurricane hit it and it smells from all the garbage and food molding on the counters. I never drink her milk or allow my kids to drink it because 9 times out of 10 it's like months old. Her bills are piled on her desktop and God forbid you try to help her organize it (which I once made the mistake of doing) because she somehow finds her bills better when they are underneath a bunch of shit then put neatly away somewhere, although half the time they're overdue. I chalk it up to her being a hoarder and I take pity on my hubby for having to growup there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would just stay away from her house. It sounds horrible!
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2010