Have you ever stopped and thought about this?

Many of us on here have different beliefs, but have you ever stopped and thought that the person on here may be just as compassionate , loving, kind, and respectful as you? I didn't until someone on here showed me that it is TRUE!!!! Can you look at another person and see that they are mere human beings just like anyone else? Can you make peace with them even though they don't believe the same as you? Can you say," Hey, thy are just humans too, and we all have different feelings, but yet they may have good qualitys too? I have found this to be VERY TRUE!!!!! can you?

Freda01

Asked by Freda01 at 7:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely!!!!!! All it takes is the two people who are at odds to stop and forgive one another and get to know one another. It can be a difficult thing to do because not everyone is always open to the olive branch being extended but if all parties are open to it then you'll find the inner truth and that despite different beliefs there are many other similarities!
    GREAT question Freda!!!!!!!!!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• One of the nicest people I met her was an atheist. She was attacked daily by Christians and she left. I PM'd her once about it and her response was so kind and respectful. I didn't expect it. Not because I thought she would be mean to mean (it was getting nasty) because I didn't think she would be so open to me as a person because I am a Christian. She could have been angry and hateful toward me because she was bashed constantly by people who said they believe what I do and I would have understood. She wasn't though. Same thing with others I don't have a chance to meet much less know in my daily life: Muslims, African Americans, Dems and Republicans, Wiccans, Lesbians... That's what I like most about CM. It has opened my mind and rounded my thinking in some respects. I really get to know what those women are thinking and what is in their minds and hearts.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Of course, I can and have always been able to do this. I treat people based on their personality....not religion, race, culture or anything else. Some people are just mean and nasty but its not their religion or culture that makes them so...its just their personality. We shouldn't feel like we HAVE to get along with everyone but we should respect each other and give each other the benefit of the doubt until we get to see the person inside. I look at it this way: we are all HUMAN so if we have nothing else in common we at least have THAT. We share a planet and we're the same species. And...no one is better than anyone else because at the end of the day we all sit down and poop the same! lol
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 8:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My religion (Buddhism) teaches pretty much exactly what you are talking about. We all have to follow our own paths. I'm thrilled that I found the path that's right for me, and I'm also thrilled that you and others have found the path that's right for you. It's okay that those paths are different.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Yes, this is very true. I am an atheist who is kind, ethical and generally a good human being. I find that most of my friends are christian (just because that is what the majority of people in our country are). I've had a few acquaintances who didn't seem interested in becoming better friends, after finding out how different our religious views are, but most people seem okay with it. I think the majority can be respectful of those with different beliefs. It is a VERY vocal minority who produce most of the ugliness and intolerance.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:24 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• It IS a shame how the minority of the different religions can really make it so difficult for the rest of us to find our common ground. There really is no reason why we should be "fighting" over our differences. Instead we should be embracing our similarities and striving to strengthen them.

"If we have no peace, it is because we don't know that we belong to each other" - Mother Teresa.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• YES I CAN
    BLIND914

Answer by BLIND914 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• There is so much more to a person than what she believes. Granted it makes up a lot of her personality and drive for life but....it's not the sole aspect of her. We need to look beyond this one thing and dive deep into the whole person. I love Christ but there is much more to me ~ and I appreciate all those who try to find out just who I am as a whole. I do the same for you. =)
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 1:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Yes. I have a client who is very anti-religion. However, we get along great. I am respectful of her opinions and don't try to get her to see things "my way". On the flip side, I don't believe people come into our lives by happenstance. I believe she is in my life for a reason and I in hers. For this reason, I serve her whole-heartedly and I pray for her. Here is a quote from St. Francis of Agassi: "PREACH THE GOSPEL. IF NECESSARY, USE WORDS." No matter if the person is a believer in God or not, we are still to love and serve them.

OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 2:33 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Maybe I'm strange but I automatically assume that the people I meet (online and in real life) are good, caring compassionate people right from the start. It isn't until they prove otherwise think anything different. That goes for any religion. I'm an atheist.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2008