I would like to know about grandparents rights in ohio.

My MIL is trying to threaten me with grandparents rights. Her son and I are still married. And i read somewhere that grandparents cant even petition the court for visitation if the parents of the child are still married. If you are wondering why this is happening it is because i wont let her take my son by herself because her husband chased me, my son, and my hubby down the road and she lied in a statement to the police. I dont trust her. So if you can help, please do so.

Samantha9907

Asked by Samantha9907 at 7:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• A court may grant visitation rights if the child's parents are deceased, divorced, separated, were parties to a suit for annulment or child support, or were never married to one another. Grandparents must show they have an interest in the child's welfare. Adoption cuts off the visitation rights of grandparents unless adoption is granted to a stepparent.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Your right, most states will not go against the parents wishes and force you to allow her to be around your son. As long as your husband goes along with you, you should have no problem.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I'm almost sure that she has NO rights at all!! The only rights she would have is IF her son would be deceased.. That is the ONLY way grandparents have any rights at all.. Tell her to take her threats and shove them!! Good luck..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 8:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The only time grandparents have rights is when neither parent can take care of their child. Let her go to court. Nothing will come out of it for her. Id even talk to your lawyer about her paying you court/lawyer fees for waisting your time! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Go to this link! It should help!! http://www.proseniors.org/Law_Library/Elder%20Law/GrandparentVisitation.pdf
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Also, so you know....
    Although all states had statutes allowing grandparents to seek visitation with their grandchildren, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling in 2000 that will make it more difficult for grandparents to obtain court-ordered visits with their grandchildren. In the case of Troxel v. Granville, the Court found that fit parents should be given more deference on decisions regarding with whom the child will associate than was provided by the Washington State law. The Court left open the possibility that some grandparents could obtain court-ordered visitation if, for example, the grandparents can show that they had a particularly strong relationship with their grandchildren, it would harm the child not to continue the relationship, and it is in the child's best interest to continue. The burden of proof is on the grandparents.

MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• just google grandparent's rights in Ohio.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I'm not sure about Ohio, but I worked for an attorney in Louisiana for several years, and my mom's a paralegal. I know that HERE, it's basically impossible to get grandparent's rights unless one parent has passed away. You could probably find a local attorney who does free initial consultations-- make an appointment and ask. Good luck! Glad to know I'm not the only one with a crazy mother in law! lol
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I dont know the law where you live. But i commend you for protecting your child. Just because they are grandparents dont mean they are right..
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2008