How do we get the dog to understand the doggy door?

My husband and I are passing him back and forth through the door, trying to get him to understand the concept. He won't do it by himself though. He sniffs it but won't go through.
We've had the dog a couple weeks and the doggy door was purchased today.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 3:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Unfortunetly, your dog may never do it. :( My husbands parents have a dog who absolutly WILL NOT go through the doggy door, NO MATTER WHAT. I would keep pushing him back and forth though it may help, and when he is on the outside side try to take him potty so he might grasp the concept a bit better. Good luck!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• With our dogs we held open the door, they went through (a treat was on the other side) as they went through we would gently let the "door" back down on to their back. When they were used to that a treat on the underside help to motivate them to push it open. GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Poke him through, give him a treat, call him through , give him a treat, raise the door with him on 1 side & you on the other & coax him through, then give him a treat. Good luck, do you have a friend with a dog who goes through dog doors regularly? Having another animal show your pup how to do it will help, and treats offer positive reinforcement.
    nananessa

Answer by nananessa at 6:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We just got a dog door for our four dogs. It took about a week for all of them to get it. We did as the other posters said...hold the door up and have treats for when they go thru, then hold the door up and put it down when they are half way thru and then hold the treat and call them with the door down. I spent 15-20 mins a couple times a day for a week to get mine to do it, but remember - I trained 4 at once. Three of them come and go as they please now, but one will only go in or out if she is following another dog, but for now as long as she is going out to go potty that will have to do.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Gave you a bump because I have no idea and I'm thinking of putting in cat doors. Maybe there will be an answer for you that will work or can be adapted for felines.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• treats. Prop the door open to start with, with a treat on the opposite side of the dog. Once he's going through with no problem, hold the door open til he's almost through it, then gently let it down so it touches him. Reward and praise. Finally with the door down, push your hand holding a treat from the opposite side to get him to come forward and finally through the door. Praise praise praise and treat once he goes through. It will take time.. he's not going to master it in one day.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 4:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My husband sat outside the door. I sat inside the door. We simply helped him poke his little head through while the other parent called his name. After about half a dozen or so tries he just started doing it on his own. It felt like when we were teaching our youngest to walk and we'd sit apart and have him walk back and forth to us... Anyways, thanks all!
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i had one dog who NEVER used his..lol..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010