What do you feed your cat?

Dry food? Wet food? Both?

What brand(s)?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I feed my cats about 90% canned food. It's much closer to their natural, carnivorous diet. Even the higher quality dry foods are the equivalent of cheap, packaged food that humans eat. My veterinarian told me that feeding cats an all dry food diet basically leaves them in a constant state of dehydration (because cats don't drink a lot of water, having evolved as desert creatures), which may ultimately lead to kidney failure, a very common cause of death in pet cats.
    The wet food is a kind of a pain and it's more expensive, but I love my cats so it's worth it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• dry food, sometimes a can of wet food and every once in awhile a can of tuna. It's really not our cat though. It's a stray that hung around since it was small, we'd see it every once in awhile. It was living on field mice, birds etc....until a couple of years ago when we had a real heavy snow that lasted (unusual around here) and it couldn't hunt...nothing to hunt. We saw it one day in our driveway and you could see it's bones it was so skinny. So we gave it a can of tuna..all we had...long story short...we've been feeding it ever since...and once in awhile...it leaves the gift of a dead mouse or bird on our front porch.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We had to have a special food from the vet our cat was allergic to sea food.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I feed mine Purina Cat Chow Indoor formula
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We feed ours cheap dry cat food. If they want a little extra, they hunt or drink the kid's cereal milk.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We feed our cats dry food...we were feeding Royal Canin but we discovered it had too many fillers in it and not enough real food.

We use Natural Balance now.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i buy whatever i get a coupon for in the sunday paper, currently he's eating whiskas dry food. i have a box of canned wet food but i dont feed it to him very often.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We don't have cats anymore, but when we did we use Iams.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• OP, I wanted to add since you followed up in an additional question: when I was doing a mostly dry food diet, I found my cats ate less when we fed them the premium brand (we liked NutroMax) vs. Purina, Friskies, Whiskas, etc. I guess because it contained more meat and nutrients, they ate less of it than the cheap stuff, so the cost ended up being pretty close anyway.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, I would switch back to a higher quality brand, and try to do more canned food if you have the time and budget to do so. That will help her stay full and healthy. Who knows--maybe the healthier diet will end up saving money on vet bills down the road :)
    Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010