doctor issues

i am 37 weeks and 5 days i had a dr apt Wed but my doc office called and canceled because he had been in an accident and broke his collarbone/arm. so they referred me to his partner that is 30 miles away. My friend just recently delivered with the new doc and had a horrible experience with him not listening to her when she was trying to tell him things. I am going to see him for the first time this morning. Is it too late to change ob if im not comfortable with my docs partner??? Any advice would be appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well it is pretty late you migt call your doctor and ask him to refer you to another. give the new guy a chance. maybe your friend wasn't as vocal as she needed to be.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 8:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• It is pretty late. I'd make sure you have someone who is very forceful and vocal with you to speak up for you if the doc doesn't listen to you. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I started with a new midwife group at 37 weeks. It absolutely can be done, especially since you have extenuating circumstances. That said, give the doc a chance. Every birth is different and who knows why your friend had such a bad experience. You could end up really liking the new doctor.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• There is no point in using a doctor who doesn't listen. Ask for another referal or find your own. Midwives are great! Check them out too! Good luck
    older_mom

Answer by older_mom at 10:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• unfortunately going to a new dr. is much harder than going to a midwife. Most ob/gyn offices want you to have changed by 25 weeks or sooner. you might be able to get a referral.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:09 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• it's not too late... but start calling around soon!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Not too late at all. At my OB office you had a choice to see the midwife OR the doctors that were in that group. I started off wanting to go to the midwife but when she made me angry (34 wks) I switched and went to the doctors. I ended up having my son a week later and am glad I went to a actual doctor because I wouldn't have felt comfortable with a midwife.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 11:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I really don't know how late is too late to change docs, but I had a similar experience. My doc was unavailable when I had my son and I found out I had to have my SIL's doc, who was absolutely horrid to her. I was so scared the whole time I was in labor, but in my situation she turned out to be pretty good. Thank God! I hope I get my own doc this time around though! If you are that concerned though, I would be calling every doc in town until I got one to take me. Good luck.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 3:48 PM on Oct. 24, 2008