• In the Spotlight:

Can I do anything to help prevent my son from getting Chronic Ear Infections?

He's 6 months old, he already had a double in august & now he's got another one in his left ear. He's on amoxicillin again. Also, I never know hes got one because hes a natural crier & non sleeper, so its very hard to read him, plus he never gets a fever....

luvmyboys2

Asked by luvmyboys2 at 8:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do not give him a bottle in bed. feed his in a sitting up position. lots of times the infections are caused by the formula traveling up the eustation tude . feeding in an upright position decreases this chance.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 8:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• A baby and small child's eustachian tube are horizontal....as opposed to an adults 45 degree or more slanted one. It does slant over time, which is why they decrease as they grow. So yes feeding upright will help, and pay attention to any type of nasal things...colds, etc, as it doesn't drain down the throat effectively (as an adult), due to it being horizontal.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:35 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My daughter was the same way. We ending up going to Ear nose and throat to get her checked out, but her hearings OK so she's just on the watch list. But things to do is feed upright (my day care would put her in the bouncer thing laid pretty far back and let her hold her bottle. I got on to them about that!! Usually, they will out grow it. Sucking can cuase pressure and aggrative the infections so pacificers and bottles aren't the best. But with a baby, you can't really get rid of them. Try introducing a sippy cup. I've heard that the sooner they are off the bottle, the better for the ears. Not too much you can do beside tubes if necessary. Just deal with them until your child gets older and those tubes grow into the correct spot/slant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• When my little boy was 6 months old he got his first ear infection and from that point until he was about 8 months old he had 13 ear infections. Basically it was one long ear infection. We tried everything to prevent it from coming back and nothing worked. We got a referral to an Ear Nose and Throat specialist and he recommended tubes. He has had tubes in now for 5 months and has not had one ear infection. The ENT told me that pacifiers DO NOT cause ear infections and if a baby is fed upright while on formula they should not get infections. Those are old wives tales. If your little one keeps getting them I would recommend you ask for a referral to an ENT. Don't wait until they have 13..go sooner. You don't want it to affect their hearing and them being on antibiotics all the time is not good for their little body! GOod Luck! I hope everything works out for you. Message me if you have any other questions!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:14 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• my daughter had alot of ear infections her first yr and she had to have tubes put in her ears they help she hasnt had one since she was a baby and shes 3 now but she did have ti see speech thearpists and she has to see one in preschool shes behind on her speech because she couldnt hear her first yr so i agree have your child get seen by an ent
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree about seeing an ENT.
    Our daughter got none her first year and then got about a dozen in 3 or 4 months. Every time she got a stuffy nose, she would get an ear infection.
    She has a warm mist humidifier in her room and I saline her nose every morning. When she was younger I would use the nasal bulb as well. I also give her a decongestent if she seems to be getting really stuffy. No ear infections since and no tubes
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Other than what's already been suggested, feeding upright, and seeing an ENT, the only other thing I can suggest is to avoid bottle propping. Make sure he's fed for every feeding, and the bottle is removed from his mouth as soon as he's done actively sucking. My son's ear infections did stop as soon as he was weaned from bottles, but the repeat infections in his ears that spread to his throat had damaged his tonsils and adenoids so badly, he continued having infections of them over and over until an apnetic episode when he was 2. He had a tonsil and adenoidectomy at 2 years old after that. Love and prayers for you and your little one.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 4:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• BTW that should read "HELD for every feeding." Of course he's FED for every feeding ... my word. I should avoid posting on days when I haven't had any coffee.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 6:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Thanks ladies! I pretty much do all that, the only thing is he's adamant about holding his bottle. When I hold him & try to feed him he fights, kicks & squirms so much... once I put him down, he grabs that bottle & sucks it dry! LOL...He's going to be my most independent one!
    luvmyboys2

Answer by luvmyboys2 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• In addition to some of things already mentioned, such as feeding upright, there are a few other things that can help prevent ear infections. Keeping your child hydrated is very important. Also, if your child has a sensitivity to dairy, their immune system may become depressed and not allow their little bodies to fight off the infection. Garlic oil is also helpful in treating and preventing ear infections. Finally, chiropractic care has been shown to decrease ear infections and help children fight the infections mroe readily when they are an issue. Good luck!
    fishoutofh2o

Answer by fishoutofh2o at 1:55 PM on Mar. 30, 2009