Would you tell discipline another woman's kid at the park if it was endangering your kid?

OK. In this case, I wouldnt call it discipline, just asking the kid to "cut it out" in a sense. Her mom was right there, but on the phone so she was obviously distracted. Her kid (maybe 8) was pouring water down the slide where other kids were trying to slide down from. My kid was in line to also go down the now wet slide. I was scared, my kid would slip and fall so I told the kid to stop pouring water down the slide because the other kids could get hurt. She was snarky with me, of course and didnt stop. I looked over at her mom, hoping she would intervene at the point, but she was engrossed in her phone convo and didnt even notice. So, of course, I became more stern with the kid and told her to cut it out. At that point, her mom heard and came running and told her kid to stop. I notice her mom was slightly offended at me, but I had no choice. My kid was about to go down that slide and i didnt want her to get hurt..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, I would have. I would have nicely exp. you asked her child nicely once and she ignored you and for your child's safety you asked her again. Her response to me would depend on what my next response would be also. She should either stay off the phone, or at least what her kids while talking.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would've handled it the same way you did.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would have also said something. After years of playground duty I don't think anything of it. I'm sure the other mom was a little offended, but hey, if you don't plan on watching your child someone has to.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You handled it the way I would have.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think what you did was fine. I was at the playground the other day with my Son and there was another Mother with a 1 1/2 year old (I know because I asked her). She was texting like mad and letting her Son climb up & down & all over and not even paying attention. They have a bridge that bounces and he was in the middle, holding on for dear life (it is low to the ground though). I would not let my 3 year old cross while he was on it because I thought the other boy would fall if it bounced too much. The other Mom was oblivious. So I said " loudly to my Son "No, you have to wait", & she still was oblivious, so I walked up to her close and stared at her. She looked at me in shock and I looked at her Son. She said, "Oh, I know, really safe to text while I am watching my Son right?" I just shook my head. WTH!!! Will everyone stop talking on their phones and texting for petes sake & watch their kids!!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't know really know what I would do. I think it would depend on how many slides there were.. If there was a nother slide I would probably tell my child to find a different slide that someone was already playing on that slide. I have a son who is 8 and when we go to the park I do not watch his every move. I had a lady at the jump yard the other day grab my other sons arm and make him appoligize to her daugtherr for hitting her. And he is 24 months old. I was sitting right next to him and never saw this happen.. I was a little upset because she grabed him! She could have just told me.... I don't think I would ever get on to someone elses kid....
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• After nearly 17 years as a mom, I can tell you that was the right call. We are all sick of people who don't watch their own little monsters and expect everyone else to put up with their behavior for the sake of not offending anyone. I would have dramatically dried off the slide and "requested" the child get off the slide so other kids could go down. No worries. As long as you don't go around spanking other people's kids, I think you are fine!! Lol
    nova8

Answer by nova8 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You handled it well, tho, I think I would of gone to the mother first just to get her to watch her child and explain what she was doing and others could get hurt. Also to get her off the dam phone.......

zbee

Answer by zbee at 3:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I yell at my kids, my friends kids, strange kids...all kids! If the kid is acting like a jerk or doing something stupid, they are gonna get yelled at by me! And if their mama doesnt like it, I got more words for her! I cant stand kids throwing dirt at others or pushing little ones down on the park....my kids included!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I will, and HAVE, told kids to knock it off, or calm down, or be quiet, or whatever if the parent didn't take the initiative. I do it nicely of course. There's been a few times that i wanted to say something to kids in grocery stores or whatever that were being little turds because i know that MY kids listen better to people other than me! lol! I wouldn't be one bit offended if someone (nicely) corrected my kids if they needed it!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010