how much to baby food to feed a 5 1/2 month old.....

Right now I feed him a jar of fruit and some rice cereal in the morning then the same routine at night...He also drinks 24 ozs of Formula a day.....but he's still wakin up to suck down 5-6 oz at 3 am (sometimes wakin up twice to eat)!!!! Should I increase his baby food feedings????
I know babies aren't suppose to always sleep through the night....but mine only has once since he's been born!!!!!

JessTorres

Asked by JessTorres at 8:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my little one is 6 months and he has never slept through the night. now he wakes up twice a night for a little bottle. My little has some cereal with fruit in the morning and then something else to eat around 2. It might be yogurt, a veggie, or two fruits mixed together just depends on what i grab first . When he shows me he is still hungry after the amount i give him then i will add a third feeding but not until he shows me he is ready. Your baby will sleep through the night when he is ready dont worry. I have a friend whose baby is almost a year old and still doesnt sleep through the night but then he is breastfed so i dont know if that has anything to do with it. If your baby still seems hungry at night then his tummy isnt ready for all night without food yet .
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• see if he will eat more formula at each feeding. its also possible he is not waking up b/c he is actually hungry. my 6 month old has cereal in the morning and a plastic container of baby food [stage 1 but will go to stage 2 when i am finished with what i have in the house] at dinner. he has about 30 oz of formula a day. i mention increasing formula instead of baby food b/c it is still their primary source of nutrition. good luck!

AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 9:56 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• He could be waking up for comfort knowing you are going to come get him. My son does that sometimes. Usually with teething, he will wake up and want to be held or something. You could increase his milk during the day if he will take it and his dinner at night. You could try feeding him later and more. Bathing him before bed really helps alot of babies sleep thru the night. I bathe my son in lavender scented soap and rub him down in the matching lotion to relax him. If you are sure that is is becuase he is hungry just play around with your routines and find the one that fits him best. I don't let my son have a bottle after seven thirty and he has dinner at eight thirty or nine then a bath, massage and some cuddle time while he nurses in his room with the lights off. Also I let him put himself to sleep. that way when he wakes up he knows where he is and can put himself back to sleep throughout the night.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 10:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My son has started sleeping through the night since he was 8 weeks old. He's now almost 6 and he's sleeping 12 hours straight at night with two or three naps during the day. He has 5 feedings (including the dreamfeed around 9:30PM)

I recommend this page for you. I hope this helps: http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/
    rjthebaby

Answer by rjthebaby at 11:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• http://www.drgreene.com/21_1474.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• you shouldn't feed a five month old any baby food.
    Anonymous

• You can try adding a veggie for dinner. He may also be waking out of habit. If he takes a pacifier-have you tried just giving him a pacifier and patting his tummy or rocking him. I did this with my daughter when she was about that age, and it usually worked. It may take a couple trys, but she usually went back to sleep with no feeding. I feel your pain, my daughter is now 8 months and she still wakes up at least once a night most nights. Good luck.

Ignore what anonymous said about no baby food at 5 months. I am sure you have consulted your doctor, and are doing what is best for your baby. Every child is different, and some people don't seem to get that.
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I would also wait to start any dairy (yogurt, cheese) or meat until he is 8 months. I am only telling you that because that is what my doctor recommended. If yours says something else then so be it. Hope this helps.
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• One more thing. Make sure he is still taking 24-30 ounces of formula (or whatever is recommended by your doctor). That should be his main source of nutrition until he is a year old.
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• William has a veggie at dinner and cereal at bedtime (with a normal bottle, well actually 2ozs of the bottle goes into the cereal) he also eats 34 oxs of formula a day and sleeps 12 hours a night (started THE DAY I introduced cereal, if I skip cereal he wakes every 2 hours) He is 4 months old
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 1:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2008