MY 3 YR OLD IS ATTACHED TO THE BINKIE ANY IDEAS OF HOW TO GET HER OFF?

GOT HER TO USE IT ONLY AT NIGHT IF I TAKE IT ONCE SHE IS SLEEP SHE WILL WAKE UP LOOKING FOR IT

SHORT_LEE10

Asked by SHORT_LEE10 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Take her to a Build-A-Bear store and let her make a bear. Binkie goes inside and she can have it close to her as she sleeps.
    CaraWarner

Answer by CaraWarner at 3:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• When my son was attached to his he was about 3 maybe a bit older. Anyway all we did was talk to him about throwing it away. It took a bit but after everyday of talking to him about it he finally one night just said ok and tossed it. Never asked for it again. IDK if we just got lucky or what, but he did it. My daughter on the otherhand will be a whole different story, lol!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We did the Build a Bear thing with my now 6 year old and 3 1/2 years later he still sleeps with that bear who is named "Bink"
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• COLD TURKEY. Dont give it back to what so ever once it's gone. Get rid of all of them right away. Take her to the store to find another "lovely". Maybe a stuff animal or a blanket.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Carawarmer has a wonderful idea!!!!!!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Have a ceremony. Come up with a cause. Tell her that there are babies in Heaven who are waiting to be born and that they need her binkies. Tie them to helium balloons and send them to Heaven. Let her have an important role- like choosing the color of the balloons, or singing a song to the new babies before letting the balloons go. Then hold firm at night. The babies need the binkies- she doesn't because she's a big girl. Good luck.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 3:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• my kids were all off of it by 1, but my parents let me have it longer and said one day i just threw it out of the car window while they were driving somewhere. i still remember it too - i must've been pretty old lol. but i really like the build a bear idea or just giving it up cold turkey and dealing with the crying for a couple of nights.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I was convinced my youngest was taking hers to college. She only had it at night from about a year, but she was probably 3 before she gave it up. Everyone assured me that she would just lose interest, but I worried night and day about it. One day, she just stopped looking for it and that was that. Don't worry!! lol
    nova8

Answer by nova8 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't agree with taking it away...especially if she is attached for comfort and can't understand why you are taking it away. My kids will keep it until they give it up. If by 5, it isn't gone, then, they are old enough to understand and discuss why they have to give it up. Most kids WILL give it up by 3 or 4. It has been shown to not affect teeth until after than as well. Give her time...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son was off his by 10 months...I would go cold turkey. At 3 years, your options are very limited b/c she has had it for so long. Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010