Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I report DH?

DH is convicted child molester and now more info has come out about his crimes. Things that were to come out would most likely send him back to prison. He did 3 years already. This would make my daughter testify in open court which she is VERY reluctant to do. She is over 18 so I don't know if I can do anything legally.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (15)
  • I would do everything I could to make sure he did not harm another child, especially my own. Where do people find these men?

    Answer by AKEllen at 6:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • IMO if you do the crime you have to do the time. It is unethical for a person to participate in a criminal act and not be punnished for it. There are far too many people who get away with all sorts of crimes. The victims of those crimes have no closure. There is no justice for them.

    I would report him. He may be your husband and you might love him but that doesn't mean he should be free to go around hurting people. Legally you can't force your daughter to testify. However, you do have a moral and ethical obligation to report any crime you are aware of.

    And yes, if my husband did something criminal (or my children for that matter) I would report them. Not because of any lack of love (they are my life) but because it's the right thing to do.

    Answer by amethystrse at 6:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • you know what is right.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • amethystrse said it!!!

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • Are you still married to this man who sexually abuses children? What? Well, you can not make your daughter do anything, but as far as I am concerned 3 years is not nearly long enough for a child molester to be in prison. Tell the police, who are generally pretty eager to get child molesters off the street. Let the people specifically trained to talk to victims of abuse talk to your daughter to see if she will testify. I'm sure she has trust issues with you, too, if she was abused by him. Especially if you are still married to him!! If this is just new information about a crime he was already punished for, it might not put him back in jail. But at least they will have more records of his pattern of abuse. The average child molester will molest 160 children in their lifetime. When they are caught, that number goes down to 85. But still, the thought of someone molesting 1 child is so sickening.

    Answer by supershlea at 6:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • Well I seriously doubt that they can MAKE your over 18 DD testify in court against her father......It's called pleading the 5th and he is her father so she cant be forced into incriminating him....You do need to report him before it comes out in another way and you are found culpable by knowing and not reporting.

    Answer by vbruno at 6:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • Turn him in, if I ever thought of someone doing that to my children or any child for that matter regaardless of there age I would turn them in, let the court handle it, there are people who can talk to your child and help her as well with it, she may be scared no dought.

    Answer by sillybabys at 7:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • The lawyers would talk to your daughter to explain that her coming forward might very possibly help protect other children. I think you should report it, but get your facts, information, get SAFE first so your DH cannot hurt you, take all the money and run, etc

    Answer by TXdanielly at 7:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • all means get him locked up and put away. do it

    Answer by DIAMOND_CHIC at 8:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • I understand your reluctance to report this. First off I'd like to say that I was a vitim of a CM he was a neighborhood boy and since I was only 2 and my parents refused to report him nothing happened to him for about 15 yrs. (He got caught raping a 10 yr old girl.) Something else is that my husband has a similar past but his crimes where when he was a young teenager and he even turned himself in. He didn't like what he was doing. And now he will not even be alone with anybody elses children but our own(and I check everyday for signs of abuse). If a person is caught early in life they may be able to get help (like my husband). Your husband has been caught and even served time for his crimes and he still seems to persist in them. If this were a neighbors husband who had done that to your daughter what would you do?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.