Do you discipline your kids if they are failing in school or not turning in assignments in class? If so how do you discipline them?

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• We would take things away and they would have to go to bed early.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Never happened, but I would. They're job as kids is to do well at school. If they don't do their job, or at least try, privileges like TV, computer, video games, allowence etc should be taken away.

mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Ground them. Take away all of their stuff. Make them redo missed assignments. The only thing they can do is school and home and straight to their room until they are responsible enough to bring their grades up and turn in the assignments.
    If they are struggling in a certain subject I would help them with it or get a tutor.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• No fun activities and no cell phone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The first step would be to determine why the child is not doing the work. Does he lack the ability? Is he not understanding what is required? Is he not getting enough rest at night? Or is he just plain being lazy? Is the teacher not being clear in what is expected of the child? The answers to those questions and others would determine how I handled his inattentiveness to taking care of business. If he's just plain old slacking off, he is not too old to spank.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I will when my sons get old enough to have homework and such things. And it would depend on how old they are on how I would discipline them.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I set up a system with my son's teachers when he was not doing homework. He was to write down the assignment in his notebook OR the words "no homework". Then he would have the teacher sign the notebook. It took 2 seconds and the teachers were happy to cooperate with me. I then looked in his notebook every night to see what was assigned and double check to see if it got done. It solved the problem. His punishment if it wasn't turned in was not playing in his hockey games which was his absolute favorite activity.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, they need repercussions for not doing well in school, I would ground them from things they enjoy, like computer or mp3 player until the grades are brought up. If it's the work they don't understand get them a tutor from the school, teachers will tutor after school. My daughter was making a bad grade in math and I had her stay after school for tutoring. Come to find out it wasn't that she didn't understand the work it was the simple fact she was talking or did'nt turn in her assignment. After telling her she would be tutored until the grade came up she started turning in her work and brought that grade up. After all who wants to stay after school for nothing. But grades are important it teaches them responsibility for when they get a job.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I just had similar problems with my sons and I did indeed take their privileges away (football & mp3 players). I also made them do all the homework assignments that were missed and we turned them in for partial credit. I think that children have to have consequences to their actions. Children are never too young to learn responsibility. They should be responsible for homework which is reinforcing what they have learned, without it they can not possibly to well in the class.
    momtms3

Answer by momtms3 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree with NannyB, the first steps I would take is determining the reason than simply assuming my child is lazy or irresponsible. Children at a young age I believe lack direction to know how to ask for help. If a child doesn't understand unless they are taught to ask a teacher for help - they may not out of fear that someone will think they are stupid (ie peers or even the teacher depending on her personality). Also children twith above average intelligence tend to deal with complete boredom. I have always talked about the importance of responsbility, I have also told my children that it is the teachers job to teach them and if you don't understand - then you ask that is what she is paid for, she is not a glorified babysitter she is an educator. If they ask and don't get the help they seek, then its my job to jump in and I have. I would work out a plan with the school, but punishment in my opinion is a last resort.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010