Does an Amnio hurt?

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 3:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, It's like a light pin prick and just pressure and it's very quick. The thought of it is worse than the procedure. I've had two and it's not a big deal at all & I am a chicken with medical things. Good luck! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• From what I heard it does. I never risked it because it can cause miscarriage
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• hun don't get that done. its optional, unnecessary, and very risky to the baby's life
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have to get it done
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree about voting down. Should we lie and go oh no it doesn't hurt a bit and its 100% safe? People asked for the truth, you'll get the truth and you don't HAVE to get it done it's always optional a doctor cant force you to get it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• SweetPoison, Don't listen to peoples comments that have never had the procedure done & don't be scared. This is a routine procedure that is done on a daily basis and is recommended to all Women over 35. As I said, I have had it done twice with NO complications and no cramping either. Unfortunately when you ask a question here people with no experience with an issue always seem to put their 2 cents in and are not speaking from experience nor do they have all the info or knowledge. I am sure you have spoken to your Dr. and if it needs to be done, do it. Don't be afraid, it takes seconds and I swear, it is not a big deal at all. Best wishes!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• For some - it does hurt. For others - it does not hurt.
    Some cramp afterwards (usually those having one very late in their pregnancy) and some do miscarriage after having one (not very likely though).
    Every woman experiences it differently. As for the HAVE to get it done - you honestly don't HAVE to do anything that you don't want to. Your doctor probably recommends it done for various reasons. I personally did not have it done with any of my pregnancies, instead choosing to deal with the lot that nature dealt me upon delivery.

Good luck with it and for you, I do hope that it does not hurt.
    Anonymous

• i thought it was safer later in preg to check for lung development. am i right? that's why i had one.

anyways it does not hurt. less pain than getting a shot or blood draw because needle is smaller.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I didnt ask to be lied to nor did I ask to be bashed about having to get one done. It's neccessariy to determine a birth defect that I would rather not wait until AFTER delivery to be faced with. I am late in pregnancy so the worse that could happen is I go into preterm labor. i am actually forcing the doctor to give me one. but thank you for the answers
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Sweetposion- what birth defect? I mean, it isn't going to change anything but if you have the baby early then you could put more of a risk on a potentially healthy baby. whats going on?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010