Just let him cry?

I was wondering at what age do you feel it is ok to let your child cry themselves to sleep? My son is showing signs of forming the habit of not going to sleep or staying asleep unless he is being held. He is only one month old. I love the cuddle time during the day but I dont want him to become "spoiled" but at the same time, I dont want him to make himself vomit from crying which he has done if left too long.

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its probably colic starting. give him a pacifier when he cries. the sucking sooths them
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My pedi told me that the perfect time is about 6 months old. Your baby is just bonding with you and just developing a sleeping pattern I had to sleep with my DS until I bed broke him at 6 months old. Its rough I know but you can make it!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My doctor said at 1 month not to let them cry themselves to sleep because it is way to stressful for the baby. If I were you I would rock my baby to sleep . After all they will only be little bitty like that onces. And as far as the spoiled factor goes. I don't think kthat really applies to all children.. But, I think around 1 is a good age to start teaching them to go to sleep on there own. But, thats just me I am sure other moms feel different. My oldest goes to be very well all by himself and always has my youngest likes you to sit by his bed until he falls asleep. ( I don't have a problem doing this because Like I said he is only 2 and one day he wont want me anywhere near him..lol) All kids are different! Good luck!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If he gets used to being held to sleep, he will not be able to go to sleep without your arms anytime soon. I know it can breat your heart, but he will only cry himself to sleep 4-5 times and then get used to the new way. At least that's how it worked with my DD!

GL
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Sorry, I forgot to mention, my daughter was 4 months when I did this.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I was told (and also read) that at that young of age, they are way to little to' know' what they are doing as far as having you hold them to sleep...they need so much attention and affection physically at that age that it reallywont hurt every now and then. however- mommys need time to and if he/she has to cry a little bit for you to take a shower or brush your teeth (weve all bee there) then so be it...i wouldn't start the cry it out thing until later...good luck :)
    Cari G.

Answer by Cari G. at 4:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Very true, it is best to wait. My boys were 3 and 2 before I attempted to do that under advise from the doctor. They never really were criers, but it was a struggle the 1st 3 nights, but after that 3rd night, I never had problems. But as for a baby, I was fortunate that both were about 3 weeks old when they settled into a routine and slept most the night (well, 3-4 hours a shot and up for feeding, then back down again). You little one will not be spoiled with the holding, don't worry.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 4:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I never let my children or my grandson cry themselves to sleep. It is not spoiling a child to hold them. For all of time mothers have breastfed, held, and shared sleep with their babies. That is hard wired into the baby's brain as the way it is supposed to be. If babies were to adapt to artificial feeding, sitting in seats, and sleeping alone in cribs it would take generations. It is normal for children to wake at night until they are 3 years old.

At one month it is wonderful if an infant is in someone's arms 100% of the time. An infant should never be left to cry until vomiting. I suggest reading books by William and Martha Sears like The Baby Book or going to William Sears web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i would never cio a chld under 18 mts. also the cio method is not recommended for babies under 6 mts. your are not going to spoil your baby by holdoing them does bs.. get a sling to make things easier.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You can't spoil him when he's that young. :) I know that's good and bad - good that you can hold him all you want, but bad that you shouldn't let him cry it out yet. Hang in there Mommy, he's probably colicky and needs the comfort for a while. In a few months you can get him used to going to sleep alone.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010