How to unspoil my 14 month old?

My 14 month cries when I am around, and won't stop until I pick him up. It is to the point where we can't go anywhere bc if I put him in his highchair he is going to throw a fit. He won't even sit with Mimi. He was sick for a while and so we held him a lot to pacify him bc he did not feel well. How do I teach him to entertain himself so that I can at least cook dinner? HELP!

mrscobb

Asked by mrscobb at 9:20 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing I could think of is tough love. Thats the way I broke my 4 year old from sleeping in bed with us. I just put her in her bed and back in her bed every time she got out. Now she sleeps in there all night and is asleep earlier in the evening. So, when he cries just give him your hand or a fav toy instead of giving in to him. It won't be easy but hopefully your hard work will pay off.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 9:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Encourage your son with irresistable toddler toys [nesting toys, noisy toys, play-doh] and verbally encourage him when he plays on his own. Remember to bend down every 5 minutes, make eye contact and touch him. No one likes being ignored especially when you're too short to see what's going on!

Try and make all of the contents of the cabinets within his reach baby safe so he can play freely!

Encourage him to keep some toys there so they become "special." Those toys can only be played with during kitchen time.

Outside of the kitchen: hugs instead of up! He still gets the attention and affirmation he wants. Get down to his level, acknowledge him individually and give him a hug if he is insistent.

Whatever you decide, be firm. Make sure anyone else who spends significant time with him is in on it too. Going back on it will only confuse him and make the problem worse!
    breezyinsc

Answer by breezyinsc at 10:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• let him scream...say things like, mommy is still here. i am not going anywhere...or if you hav to go to the bathroom, say, mommy has to potty, but i will be right back. reinsure that you WILL be right back. that you will not leave him. say things like, when you wake up, we'll do _____. things like that help sometimes.
    lovinmyseabee

Answer by lovinmyseabee at 10:41 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with breezyincs. Maybe create some good quality time for just the two of you. And then bring them where you need to be and set out some fun toys, pots/pans, or open a cupboard that "needs" to be emptied. I think when children cry they are expressing a genuine feeling. Maybe right now yours just needs to feel secure and safe.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My child was the same way. Still kinda is. I will say @ 1st it drove me crazy. she wouldnt even go to daddy :( So i went and bought to gates that swing open and put her on the other side of it and did my thing in the kitchen. She cried and cried,but got over it and now only screams when i run upstairs real quick.But i put the gates up to teach her that the living room was her area and cant follow me.he will get over it.But think about the positive.Soon he wont need you :( and it will kill you when you go to hold him and he says NO :( lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• First, you have to mean what you say, kids learn very quickly how and who to run over. If you scold them for something, do not turn around and buy them something that want in the store , or at Wal-Mart. That is telling them they can act up and still get their way. Make sure they use to sleeping in their own beds,but do not let them cry all night. Give them a night light or if do not have one have the hall light on.
    scmom888

Answer by scmom888 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Also, if you give him things that he enjoy, he will automatically leave you alone and play for at least a couple of hours. With our daughter, she was carried everywhere, when she was little, from my lap to daddy, to grandmas, but when you put something educational on T.V.(not all day) she was find.
    scmom888

Answer by scmom888 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thanks everyone for the responses....WISH ME LUCK!!! DADDY IS BABYSITTING TONIGHT!LOL
    mrscobb

Answer by mrscobb at 5:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008