My baby LOVES her nuk....when do i take it away?

my daughter is 16 months old and still wakes in the middle of the night and screams if she cant find her nuk...other than that, she's a perfect sleeper. she also wants it sparatically throughout the day.

i've been trying to ween her off gradually but it's not working. my original thought was to take it away when she started getting teeth (which was only a month ago) but, i'm wondering, is it shame on me for letting her use it too long or i can let her hold onto it for a few more months?

when did you take your child's nuk away? 3months, 1year, when they start getting teeth? what was your milestone and why did you take it away at that time?

please only respond if your child also used a nuk, i'm looking for actual experience not just what it says in the books :)

acounard

Asked by acounard at 4:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Okay, here's what I did:

With my first, I took her binky away when she was 2, because that's when she got a "big girl" bed. I told her that in order to use her "big girl" bed with the Ariel sheets, she had to get rid of her baby pacifier. It worked. She went without it immediately. (Up until that point we had been using it for bedtime only; we stopped taking it in public at about 14-15 months).

With my second, I started taking it away when she was about 15 months. She got used to sleeping without it after only a week or so. HOWEVER - when she hit 18 months she went through a super-awful separation anxiety stage, and the binky was the only thing that would calm her down .She's 21 months now and is still using it. We only use it at nap/bedtime though.

It totally depends on the kid, and if your little one still really needs it for sleeping, I say let her keep it for a while.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would get rid of it all together. It is tough but she will be fine in about 3 days. Lose it or cut the nipple to make it less appealing. Good luck if you cant handle her crying then your best to just let it go. But the longer you wait the harder it is to convince them they dont need it.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree with Martin mommy. My son hardly ever had a pacifier b/c I hate them. By 10 months he stop taking it on his own.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's perfectly fine for a child to use a pacifier until they are 3 or 4. It's normal for kids to nurse when they are that old. It's not fair to give a pacifier when it makes life easier for you and then take it away for your personal bias.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't agree with taking it away...especially if she is attached for comfort and can't understand why you are taking it away. My kids will keep it until they give it up. If by 5, it isn't gone, then, they are old enough to understand and discuss why they have to give it up. Most kids WILL give it up by 3 or 4. It has been shown to not affect teeth until after than as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• When she's ready, she'll give it up. We cut our son down to just bed time and then let it up to him. Children attach to these things as a way to self sooth. Taking it only causes more issues...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• All my kids had theirs until about two or so, they decided when they had enough after consistently telling them that nuks were for babies and they were big boys and girls.

Answer by older at 7:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Friends of ours let their girls use it (for bedtime only) until they were about three years old. Then they stopped using it on their own.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010