fleas!!!! >:/

my apartment had fleas when i moved in, and we didn't even have a pet. they came in and sprayed and the problem was 90% resolved but i was still getting bitten on rare occasions. several weeks later we got a kitten, and i didnt notice the fleas anymore, and now recently a few months later the little bastards are back. my cat is an indoor cat, and not wearing a flea collar. would a flea collar resolve the issue, or would they just stay off of him and continue to bite me and my oldest? (they seem to have a taste for our blood but not hubby or the other two kids). i know there are lots of things at the store, what is the most efficient product you've used? apartment is mostly carpet too!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• When they're around at all, you have to get rid of them 100% or they'll keep laying eggs and hatching. Using a couple of flea bombs works best - we actually had to do it twice, because you would not believe how those little buggers can weasel deep into your carpet/furniture! - and use medication on your kitty. A collar alone won't do the trick; use some medication that applies to the back of her neck to kill the fleas, then use a flea collar to help keep them away.

GL! Fleas are a PAIN and getting rid of them is a process. You kind of have to do all the steps at once, because they are persistent little buggers!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You can use 'sevin' dust safely (follow instructions) on your carpet and even the kitten. The kitten has to be a certain age for a collar. read the instructions. You can get the 'dust' at any home/garden center, even WalMart. Some people use 'chinaberry leaves' placed around the house, but unless you know how to find them and have woods nearby, the dust is the healthiest and safest I believe. Mom2MomFlorida
    Mom2MomFlorida

Answer by Mom2MomFlorida at 4:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The fleas live out their lifecycle in your carpet & pad-once they get into the carpet it is very difficult to get them out. I would not put Sevin dust down after seeing what it did to some tomato plants that got overdusted with it once-I would not want my children or family in contact with any pesticides. There is a company calle Flea Busters that will spray some kind of salt down that works fairly well but I had such a bad case I finally ended up replacing all my carpet with laminate flooring. I used to use Advantage & Frontline on my pets but have recently replaced it with a new product called Revolution that is not a pesticide and it works very well.
    drsally

Answer by drsally at 4:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010