How many people passed on the blood screening test (genetic disorders)??

I was asked by my doctor if I was having my blood screening done. Me not really thinking much of it, said of course. Now I wish I would have known more about it. It came back positive for down syndrome. My risk number was 1/67. Of course I freaked out. And have been researching like crazy the past few days. From what I have found, many women test positive and end up having a healthy baby. A lot of women say they would not have the test done again in future pregnancies.

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine was like 1/1000 or 10000 I can't remember. What I do remember if that I pass it.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 4:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I never took it. I didn't want to know the chances of my baby being born with a defect. Knowing my husband he would have just pushed me to get an abortion. I know the ultrasounds can show you if there is something wrong and if it did them I may have done the blood test.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I never had it done because I didn't really care. My children could be born with a defect and I would still love them. I can't imagine doing that screening and then getting an abortion because it said that something may be wrong with my child. My kids both have Autism and I would never dream of just making them go away.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I did with my oldest two and declined with my third. I only did it those times because I thought it was something I had to do, I wasn't very educated about pregnancy and all that at the time. It really only matters if you truly care about the results, if it doesn't matter to you either way then don't test. But even if it does, and the results are positive, like you said it still might not be true. They told me my 2nd had all the signs for a genetic disorder, most likely cystic fibrosis, they pushed me for an amnio at 22 weeks and gave me a 2 week window to get an abortion if the results were positive. Though I did get the amnio, and the results were negative, I wouldn't have aborted anyway. Especially not at 24 weeks. And if I had, it would've been the biggest mistake of my life because my now 21 month old is perfectly healthy. Those tests really bring on nothing but stress and can lead a mother in the wrong direction.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I never took it either I figure the baby is what it is there no changing it so id deal with it when it came and too bc a lot of ppl get positives when it isn't down syndrome this last baby I did sdo the quad screening bc I had to bc of my own genetic disorder but thts diff bc the drs need to knw of spinal defects before preg. What did the drs advise you to do? Id ask for the 3d sono my tech told me they can see red flags for dwnsyn andeven better chance if they are looking for it safer than amnio
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I never got the tests done....my aunt's came back abnormal for both her pregnancies, and both her babies were just fine. I think they are more harm than good because most of the time it is wrong anyway and you just get all freaked out and scared.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• OP- My doctor never said anything about false positives. And when I asked about the 3d ultrasound, she said that it wouldn't show anything more than a regular ultrasound. Which I still don't believe. Also she said before any of the blood testing, that they didn't get a good look at the heart in my ultrasound and I would have to take another one. But I know that the tech showed us all 4 chambers of the heart and said it looked good. So it seemed like they might have seen something wrong and didn't want to tell me. Maybe that is just me being paranoid.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I didn't have it done because the design of this test is not diagnose it is just a risk factor, it is designed to give false positives and false negatives, it just leads the way for more invasive tests which can diagnose. I hope your baby is ok tho mama
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I did it, because it was not invasive and did not have any risks for the baby. We opted against the diagnostic amnio, because that held risks for the baby and we weren't interested in risking ANYTHING with an already difficult pregnancy. My husband and I discussed it and agreed that no matter what the blood test showed, we were going to have the baby, but it would be nice to be prepared just in case anything was wrong. We like to research things. We came out just fine and I hope you do too. Good luck mama!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• At 16 weeks we took those tests and we had a 1/60 chance of having a baby with Trisomy 18. That was my first pregnancy and I had no idea what to expect and knew nothing about thoise tests. Unfotunately for us the levels then went to 1/10 and our baby had Trisomy 18. We lost her at 30 weeks... Trisomy 21 is down syndrome, I know that you want your baby to be perfect but I think we would have done anything to to have 21 and not 18. Our little girl is in Heaven but it's not all sad for us, we were blessed with another gift and have since refused all testing. Why? Because like these ladies are saying, they can be wrong and often times are and with the chance they are right.. like for us, it wouldnt change it for me. I still wouldnt abort and i would let it up to God. I hope everything is okay for you, most likely it will be. Good luck momma
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010