Traditions

Have anyone start any new traditions with their child(ren)? My new tradition is every month on the day my daughter was born we have a Happy ? Months!!!! We just celebrated her Happy 10 Months!!! Cake, Cupcake, Family and Fun. Something new, I'm only doing it for the first year.

ProudMommie83

Asked by ProudMommie83 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• We've started this thing with our girls where once a week, we extend our family walk and go all the way into town; we eat dinner at McDonald's and then walk over to Blockbuster and let each girl pick one $1 family movie rental. I don't know how it turned into such a tradition/ritual but now all of us look forward to it each week! And it doesn't cost us much money, since the rentals are a buck and we use coupons at McD's. Even my 21month old now asks "Where 'Donald's?" every time we go out for a walk. Haha
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We are starting one. On Easter of every year we are going to go to a local old folks home and bring them dyed eggs and small little Easter baskets.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes!! We have "name days". They have that in Greece and it's just as important as birthdays to them. I went there 9 years ago and it was Vargin Mary's day, so everyone with the name Mary or Maria celebrated their name day that day. And there are celebrations of different names every day. For example, on St. Gabriel's day everyone with the name Gabriel celebrates their name day, and the St' Gabriel churches organise events to celebrate the day too.

So anyway, I did a little research when Paige was born and her name day is on the 15th of August (Virgin Mary's day because her name in Greek is Panagiota which means most Pure and refers to Virgin mary). My name day is on the 9th of September.

There's a Greek grandmother in my neighborhood and she found our name days for us. If anyone else wants to know theirs, PM me! :)
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• On Friday's we either have a Family Game Night or a Redbox rental apiece and then do the family game time on Saturday mornings. And when my husband is home on Saturdays, we like to load up and spend the day in town, walking around stores and eating dinner at Chik-Fil-A.

That's about the only "tradition" we have started as a family that neither the husband nor I did when we were growing up.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We have walks, weather permitting. We also have a tradition of putting up the christmas tree the Saturday after thanksgiving. We also always go shopping black friday.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My mom used to take my sister and I to see the Nutcracker every December and we used to really love it. We haven't started any new traditions yet, except Halloween is a much bigger holiday for us than it ever was for my family growing up!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thats weird to me, but more power to you LOL. My family never celebrated anything except Xmas, so celebrating every Holiday is what we do.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• @Misteh: That's how my family is and now that I have a child. I would love to start a new family tradition for her.
    @ Mom2Just1, QueenMomma2023, mygirlpaige, mommy_of_two388, SarahLeeMorgan and aliceryannesmom: Something new for our child(ren) to enjoy and maybe start something new with their family when they grow up (I don't want her to grow up lol). Something new for our child(ren) to carry with them and remember.
    ProudMommie83

Comment by ProudMommie83 (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We have picture day for the first day of school. I do each child individually, then all of them together. I started when my now 7th grader was in kindergarten. I will frame them when they are in the 12th grade.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• we celebrate all of the holidays including lent and passover (we are Catholic) and we do birthdays, and we clelbrate good report cards, with a special treat forthe child with straight A's! We always vounteer at a local vaterean shelte at Tanksgiving, and we do the huge Black Friday shpping. Every fal we go apple picking, and on a fall hay ride. We also always do a hauted house at Halloween for the older kids. But we do true haunted places. We visit the cemetary evry 3 montes to honor our loved ones.
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010