Are there any Veterinarians out there? Why has my cat gone bald on her legs?

Ok, so my little feline princess has lost all of the hair on the inside of her legs and some of the exterior portions of her legs. There are no bumps or sores and no redness. It doesn't seem to itch, or bother her whatsoever. Any ideas? The remainder of her fur is just fine. How rare is alopecia in cats? I can't think of another explanation.

21stCenturyMom

Asked by 21stCenturyMom at 9:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Pets

• Autumn,

It could be 3 things in my mind. She could have a UTI. If that area is bugging her, she could be ripping the fur out because it hurts (I had a cat that did that). Fleas could be another possibility. Our cat had fleas and he ripped the hair out where they were biting him most. Or, she could have an allergy to something. Any which way, I'd have a vet peek at her.
    dmsfr

Answer by dmsfr at 11:51 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Well, she doesn't have any critters (fleas, mites, etc) and she seems very relaxed and happy, but I hadn't thought of a uti. It looks really odd. It kinda looks like she should be wearing pants, but isn't.
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 12:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• She could also have a thyroid issue, very common in cats. Really no way to tell without testing her with your vet.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• She could have thyroid problems , allergies, mange(you cant see the mites without a skin scraping they are microscopic) She could have eczema, or another skin problem. She could also have a behavioral problem that causes her to lick or bite her fur off of those areas. She needs to see a vet, to determine the exact cause.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 1:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My dog loses his hair in the summer.......For some reason he loses all of his hair except around his neck. The vet said it's just allergies. Probably to the sun because when he would go outside he would scratch himself severely, but once he came back inside he would be fine. In the winter he gets so furry. But your cat probably has allergies too, but I'd get her checked out for sure. GL!
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Our dalmation is going bald, we think it is just old age. Nothing else seems to be bothering her.

Paula
    2ndtimearound05

Answer by 2ndtimearound05 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• im thinking a skin allergy my cat sassy had skin allergys her fur on her face would just fall out we took her n to the vet they said it was allergy..if it gets where its bothering the spots put neosporin on them...but i really think its skin allergys...if it were anything else it would b showing other signs..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 1:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• it could be allergies or problem with the anal glans (not a common problem in cats ) It could be just neurotic licking. Has there been any major changes in the house lately? That can cause the stress licking. It could be so many things. I agree see you family vet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• my cat did this twice in her life.. 1. she got fleas and is allergic, luckily never got fleas again. 2. she licked all the hair off her legs, and belly.. discovered it was anxiety.. she didnt like my then bf... he left, and she allowed the fur to grow back..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2008