Foreign Language

Why do some parents feel it is so vitally important to teach their preschoolers a foreign language like Spanish or any other language besides English when nobody in the family speaks it? I just don't see how it is SO important to some moms... We really only NEED to know English here in the US, so what does it matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is easier for a child to learn 2 or 3 languages at once than it is for them to learn one and then try to learn number 2 later in life. That said, I have never found a reason to speak a second language, and I'm nearly 30. Hell, I've only ever met one person that didn't speak fluent English and chances are there aren't many mom's out there teaching Russian so you couldn't talk to her anyways... We speak English in my house and like it that way!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Because it's easier to teach a young mind a new language than it is to teach a high schooler or an adult a new language. Spanish is quickly becoming a language that is necessary (at least where I live) if you want a good job. Why not start early?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Because it's easier for them to learn when they're 4 years old. They can be fluent in one language by the time they are 10 and then start learning another. My daughter is bilingual (English at home and Greek from her nanny) and now, at 5, she's been learning Spanish for almost 2 years. She loves studying other languages so I go for it. I wouldn't push it on her if she wasn't into it.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I was raised bi-lingual and its a great gift a parent can give to a child, children learn languages a lot faster than most adults and its something that will be of value to them for the rest of their lives.
    So you live in the US but that doesn't mean that your child will want to stay in the US his/her whole life, being able to speak more than one language can really help them out in the future even if they stay in the US. A lot of multinational companies really want those that speak multiple languages.
    My kids are being raided bi-lingual and English will be introduced when they are about 4 as their third language.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 5:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2010