Would you take your child to this play?

I am going to a play in a few hours called Glory and the Fire. Havent seen it in since I was in high school. It was really good then. My 9 yr old really wants to go. The only problem is there are scenes where the devil comes out. And the sound affects flashing lights his voice and etc etc etc really makes it scary. Who would or wouldn't bring their 9 yr old to this? I have told her what will take place he she still insists on going.

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• yeah i would i see nothing wrong worst this days are video games and even the friends they have in school...have fun mama
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 4:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Go ahead and take her with you. If you've told her already that it might be scary and she still wants to go, then why not?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Take her and be glad she even wants to attend a cultural event. If she gets scared explain it's all make believe, prep her with the plot and give her the benefit of the doubt.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would more than likely take my child. My DD is nearly 11 and is practically begging us to take her to horror movies. Some kids like to be frightened or just like the scary stuff.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I'm not one to talk, lol. My parents sent me on a field trip with my orchestra, when I was 11, to see a musical called Candide. It's a VERY adult story, deals with molestation/rape, war, and a number of other heavy topics. Quite honestly, I didn't understand half the story until I read the script in high school (out of sheer curiousity). I am SHOCKED my parents decided to let me go at that age!

Do you read with your nine year old? I would track down the script (public libraries are full of scripts for well known dramas) and read some of it with her or see if you can find a video recording she can watch. If she's still interested, by all means take her with. Kids are a lot tougher than we give them credit for! :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 4:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would take her with me. I don't see something wrong with it!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• no
    Melissa P.

Answer by Melissa P. at 4:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, definitely. I would make sure to discuss with her what may happen. It's also a great starting place for a discussion with her about what your family believes about issues like what happen in the play
    birdiesmommy95

Answer by birdiesmommy95 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I took my son at 6 to see Hamlet and at 7 to see Romeo and Juliet. He also was watching horror movies since age 3. so, I would, but, I know my kid could handle it. You know your kid better than I do, so, you have to judge his maturity.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010