when to buy a big kids bed?

what the average age it be time to upgrade to a twin,
or really when too young for a twin bed?
help?
olny 3 month pregant and i'm probly planning to far,
but bd cost alot, it nice to know when to start saving.

frankye

Asked by frankye at 4:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Shopping

• I bought her one when she was 22 months. I would have waited a year or so, but she learnt how to climb out at 22 months so there was no point in having one since she could climb out!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• When my son was 2 and fell out of his crib we tried converting it to the toddler bed, but he fell out of it still, so at that point he had a twin bed on the floor for a year before putting it on a box spring and a bed frame.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Both my kids hated the crib. I had them in a cradle from newborn till about 2 months, then they slept in my bed! When they were I think it was 15 and 18 months I got them twin beds. I think myself the toddler beds are a waste of time/money as most dont stay in them very long. Oh and neither of my kids fell out of the beds. I didnt have rails, but most people probably would get rails for the twin beds when they are youger. My kids wernt' active sleepers so I didnt.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My kids were climbing out of their cribs at about a year old. We had kids that rolled so when we upgraded to twin beds, we had rails on our beds. As for the price - try looking at craig's list and in local junk shops for twin bed frames and then save the money for a simple mattress set, some sheets and a good "rubber" mattress cover.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The crib that I got for my daughter was able to convert into a toddler bed and then, when she's a bit older it can also convert into a full sized bed. I would look into that. I don't remember how much the crib cost but I got it from Burlington Coat Factory in the baby section.
    I converted the bed from a crib into a toddler bed when she turned 1 and lowered it.
    SweetSmeek

Answer by SweetSmeek at 8:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We bought two of our at Ikea. Inexpensive and lots of styles to choose from. My oldest was 9 months when she went to a big girl bed and the other two were around a year and a half.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My children were two
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 9:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You could actually wait for a year to know the sleeping habits of your child. Wait until you find out how active he is even while he is asleep. Maybe a year after he is born should do you fine to know that. In any case, go in for convertible cribs, as I found them to be very durable, cost savers and useful. If you want to browse through some good twin bed collection, check aBaby.com. They have a unique, huge compilation and are very well priced and rated. By the way, congratulations !
    patricawright

Answer by patricawright at 2:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010