SPANISH

i am kind of frustrated cuz i am puerto rican and i talk a lot of spanish mainly with my family at the get together and my husband as well is spanish...but my 2 older kids HATE HATE HATE spanish they do not want to learn it and want just about nothing to do with it...i have been talking spanish to my kids since the day they was born and now 9 and 6 yrs later they still so say they don't understand it...
i find that a little off...my son tells me it's too hard but i try to teach him and his not having it...the funny thing is that when i tell him to do something he does it...so he does understands it...i am lost...what should i do let it go or make them learn???

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 4:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• ALLL kids go through that stage. Hopefully they are also getting spanish in school so that they can read/write it too. Just keep talking to them in Spanish.. and well if they want to communicate with the older folk and/or get certain things (like pastelitos :) they are going to have to say it in Spanish right...
    Keep communicating to them in Spanish and exposing them but don't super push it. TRUST ME when they are older they will use it more... I did the same thing and then when I went away to college and found myself surrounded by "gringos" I spoke in Spanish to ANYONE and EVERYONE who could. Even my lil bro.. (who has a harder time of it b/c of learning disablities w/lang) can still speak reasonably well and understands pretty well even after living in places like N.O., Alaska, and Italy for the last 13 yrs.
    its a stage.... I think we all go through it but my mom reinforced the idea of Spanish and we had los abuelos...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• They are learning it apparently but you can't force them to speak it if they don't want to.
    Anonymous

• I am Cuban, the first language when my kids started to speak was Spanish, after they started school, it took them two weeks to learn English but their first language was never forgotten, all three (adults now) speak and understand both.

Answer by older at 4:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You should make it fun for them!! Take them to classes if you can afford it. Or hire a tutor who has experience with their age group. They could learn through games and songs! I think it's important for anyone to speak the language of their race.

GL
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well, you can't MAKE anyone learn anything, it's just physically impossible. But if it's really that important then you should encourage it and continue to use it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• As a PP said, you can't make them learn it....however, if you speak it at home and at family get togethers, they are learning it whether they want to or not and whether or not they admit it. Kid's are like sponges, they soak up information and ideas and they are soaking up spanish even though it may not appear that way.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My daughter is learning Spanish at school and she is learning it quick but, she tried not to speak Spanish at home because she feels silly. I m working on my Spanish so she doesn't feel silly at home. She likes to correct me though. Just speak Spanish to them at home they can learn it or never know what you are saying.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My SIL had this problem. Her girls said "no more spanish mommy" when they were young. They took it as a language in high school and had fun then talking with their mom. They are both fluent in it now and it is so much fun to see the 3 of them enjoy it. Keep using it sometimes and have fun with it like mentioned earlier, but don't push.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You can't make them speak it but you can teach them to understand it. Limit your English at home. They'll get it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• P.S. I'm going through the same thing with my kids esp. my son... who has blond hair/blue eyes... so EVERYONE instinctivly speaks to him in English and I have to keep reminding them (and myself) to SPEAK SPANISH... so that he continues to get immersed.....
    LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2010