How do you control a angry 5 year old going through seperation problems?

mrs.stephanie

Asked by mrs.stephanie at 9:56 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am no authority but in my experience the only thing you can do besides counseling is to consistently assure him he will return or you will return. Always let them know you keep your word and promises to them. They will eventually be secure in believing you.
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Sometimes kids go through these phases and you just have to let them work through it. They will eventually get the idea that you're going to come back, but it's hard to understand at first, especially when they've spent so much time with you and only you.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Depends on how he's acting out, whether it continues after you leave (the temper tantrum while you're going out the door is different than the kid who cries all day because they want to go home) and if this is something new, or if it's always been like this.

My youngest would pitch a fit when I came for lunches and to volunteer and had to leave and we were just firm about it. When it was time to go, it was time to go. He knew I would be back at the end of the day to pick him up, just like every day, but when mom was there he would get special treatment like not having to walk in line etc. Rather than having that end, he would have preferred to go home. Sometimes you just don't get what you want in life. Once he realized that pitching a fit wasn't going to get him anything, he got over it.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Love and time. In time they will readjust and continuous positive attention and love will help them get through the anger.
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2008