How do you put down a sleeping baby?

When your baby falls asleep while you are holding or nursing her, is there a special way you do it as to not wake them? Not how to do it but how do YOU do it.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 4:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very, very carefully.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 6:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Depends on where I'm going to be laying them. Usually my kids cosleep with me, so I just roll over and roll them on to their pillow. But if I was laying them in their bed then I would first pick them up to my shoulder and lay them down from there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It depends with my son. Sometimes I can put him down like I would if he were awake and other times I have to move slowly and take everything in baby steps.
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If my son falls alseep in my arms i creep to his baby bed and hoover over it and slowly put him in. if he starts to stir i just keep the contact between me and him for a bit til he is still again.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I didn't most of the time, I would carry my children in the sling. But after the first it was easier to wear baby for naps and nurse separately.
    Or we'd lie down together & nurse, then I could get up-sneak away after baby was asleep.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Depends how old the baby is....

There's no right way. I always lowered the crib side and tried to lay them down, keeping them lying flat. When I just reach over the crib (w/out putting the side down) and they were elevated even the slightest bit - they ALWAYS woke up.

After a certain age, I would make sure they didn't fall asleep while nursing and just laid them in their bed wide awake.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2010