Nail Clipping

For a dog that has black nails.. how do you tell where the quick is? I'm so afraid of clipping them too short. :-/ Is there a way to tell? I know you can see it with dogs that have white nails, but what about the pups that have black nails?

HeatherReneeB

Asked by HeatherReneeB at 4:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I agree with just taking off the tip. One of my dogs has all black nails and I can look on the bottom of each nail and see a bit of the skin/quick and I can judge where to cut that way. Until you get used to it, though, just cut the tip. Or you can get one a those files they sell *Petipaws* or whatever they call it (or use a drimmel).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Just take a little at a time until you get comfortable with it. When you get close the dog will usually pull away. This way you can get a feel for it. Hope it helps!
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I can see the quick on my dogs nails (he's a boxer) but I'm still scared I'm going to cut too short so I usually just take him to PetSmart and have them do it. For a nail clipping and ear cleaning (it's a combo deal) it's only $12 and I only have to take him in once every two or three months or so.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Just take the pointy tip. If you do make it bleed putting a little corn starch on it will stop it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i hace the dog nail file thats what i use,its great i dont have to worry if iam going to hurt the dogs.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree with But_Mommie, just take a little bit like the pointy tip. I have heard that sugar will also help to make it stop bleeding.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• oooh im to scared to do it myself..lol..i'll pay the 5 bucks at the local pet store
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010