Who would your kids go to if something happened to you? (God forbid!!)

Mine are going to my best friend who I've known since we were 4. And if she's unable to take them they will go to my sister. The only reason she's not my 1st choice is that she already has 3 kids of her own.

I am going to do my will tomorrow and I was just thinking about it.. And my other question.. If anything does happen to me, what age do you think my kids should get everything? 18? 21? later?

I was thinking, money for college when they graduate and the rest when they're 26.. What do you think? It's a really big for me and I need to think this through..

Not that anything is supposed to happen to me lol, I'm healthy, but my job requires me to travel a lot without my kids so just in case..

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 5:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've given this one a lot of thought. I have a special needs child and if something were to happen to my husband and me I'm not sure who would take care of my son. I've been thinking about talking with my sister in law and then my niece. Both grandmothers are in their seventies and would not be able to care for him.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Money for college when they graduate and the rest at 26 sounds PERFECT. I was just thinking about this recently, and thinking how much money I would have screwed away/wasted if I had inherited it before 25 or 26. (I haven't ever inherited any, but I was just thinking about it. Haha)

I haven't given much thought to who would take my kids if something happened to me...but I probably should. Maybe my SIL, because she's young and good with kids, and she has her head screwed on straight.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have 4.

If something would happen to just me, my 3 girls would be with my husband and his fam while my son would go to his dad.

If something would happen to both my husband and I my mom would take all 4. If she were unable, my son again would go to his dad while my girls would a g-dmom and good friend of mine.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My mother or grandmother - they are the only family left who is even close to capable (or willing) to take on children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• if something happened to both my husband and I they would go to my parents, if they couldn't my father-in-law, and the third would be a cousin and his wife. This we plan on changing when our younger sisters get older and more mature. My sister-in-law is actually older than me, but her husband is an alcoholic and mean drunk, so unfortunately we can't leave our kids to them. Our other siblings are still all a little young for the responsibility. But hopefully nothing will ever happen to my husband and I.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If something happened to me and my husband, they would go to my Mom 1st and if she was unable, then to my youngest brother. I think he will take care of them like they are his own. (they are having their first child in Feb)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010