Is This True!!!

A new survey of Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons outperformed Protestants and Roman Catholics in answering questions about major religions, while many respondents could not correctly give the most basic tenets of their own faiths.

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 5:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "X" often is used for "Christ" as in Xmas. Most Christians I know would not abbreviate Christ or Christmas or Christian. It was the first stage of taking Christ out of Christmas in marketing in the 70's. Evangelical Christians study other religions and Apologetics so they can effectively witness and defend their own beliefs. You cannot witness to someone if you do not know what they believe. That is why I believe the poll was conducted for the article and is not accurate. I do not believe it was a valid scientifically conducted study. Going to church does not make someone a Christian any more then walking into McDonalds makes them a hamburger. You have to believe in Christ and His teachings and then you will walk His walk and not just talk the talk.
    Mom2MomFlorida

Answer by Mom2MomFlorida at 11:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't know the conditions under which this study was done, but I don't think it's too far fetched to believe. Many people mistakenly assume atheists/agnostics or any other "non" christian, don't know anything about the bible or christianity. Just another misconception and generalization.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's not surprising, really. These are 3 groups that don't rely on dogma, but encourage questioning, analyzing and scrutinizing their beliefs and those of other, so it's only logical that they would be more knowledgeable. Let's be honest here, Christianity doesn't really encourage people to question its beliefs, it demands blind and total faith. Atheism, Agnosticism and Judaism frown on blind faith and encourage a person to study and learn and KNOW.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Actually, it really wouldn't surprise me.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 5:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• They did a survey on the wrong people. Many Christians know I great deal about the Bible, but apparently this was a staged survey, lol
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 5:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Doesn't surprise me at all. Many Americans know nothing about religions or what they belief. Many people are just raised in one religion and don't even know why they believe what they do. Americans need to be way more educated on what different religions and spiritual traditions believe. Understanding why people believe as they do helps us all to get along better and be more tolerant.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well, you have to look at it this way also. There are no two branches of the Christian religion that believe the EXACT same thing. That may have played a HUGE part in the survey. You can see evidence of this in question here on CM. Two christians while answer one question two different ways.
    Also, when someone is raised in a certain religion, they won't always research it farther. They generally accept what they are told to be true and don't bother looking into anything. And people tend to think if it doesn't affect them, then there is no reason to know anything about it. This happens with alot of things, not just religion. But, to be honest, it doesn't surprise me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The religious university where I live recently witnessed this phenomenom and has implemented a program to fix it. It seems to be more common with younger generations (gen xers and yers) and they gathered that it boils down to not reading the Bible (in the cases where a lack of knowledge of their own Christianity is concerned). They found that the bible as a whole was "boring" and a "bummer" to read for more than memory verses...And in addition to that, if you are a devout Christian or Catholic, as someone above mentioned, you are less likely to even bother to learn much about the other religions. Most of the Atheists and Agnostics I know (myself included) grew up around religion so do know a lot about it, and then tend to be curious about others and research those as well...
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 5:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's not surprising. I know most my my fellow Catholics don't know diddly squat about their own faith, let alone other religions. Same goes for most Protestants I've encountered.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I saw a similar website bring that up (sorry, can't remember which one) and took the quiz they had on it, which was 15 questions. Husband got thirteen right, I got 12. But most of the questions seemed trivial to me. No real meat about any one religion at all.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2010