What Are Some Games Or Extra Work You Do With Your Kids Spelling Words?

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 5:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hang a copy of the list next to the toilet, so while sitting there they could practice.I hang one in an upside down ziploc bag in the shower. While shampooing , washing and sinsing they could practice. (sounds crazy but it does help.) I also will pick a word spell it out for them to a "tune" the tune helps to remember the spelling (to this day there are some words that I still spell to a 'tune") We all take turns spelling words at the dinner table. My older son LOVED catching us messing up ( studies have shown that it helps to learn something if you teach it as well) I knew my son had the word 'down' when he could catch us spelling it wrong.
    You could also have a family spell off or make it into a game night thing
    do a hangman type game
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Maybe do a word scramble. That way the really need to think about the words. Give them a test at home on the words and the ones they get wrong have them write them like 5 or 10 times each?
    teddi32465

Answer by teddi32465 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We play hangman with my daughter's spelling words for the week.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010