• In the Spotlight:

Flying with an 18-month-old toddler and a 6-months-pregnant belly!

I'm a Navy wife flying home for the holidays from South Carolina to San Francisco with an 18-month-old and a 6-months-pregnant belly. My husband has duty here in S.C. and will not be joining us for our first airplane ride!

My daughter and I will be trying a lap-ride on the way to the west coast. We have three stop overs and our longest flight is just under 4 hours. Her carseat will be checked at the gate. If it proves to be too much, I will book a seat for her on the way back to S.C.

I've been finding wonderful resources on the internet, but I figured I'd ask the women who know best: MOMS! Tips for preparing to travel, toys, snacks, games, ANYTHING, would be greatly appreciated.

breezyinsc

Asked by breezyinsc at 10:12 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Travel

• I flew with my daughter when she was 8months old. She was a very easy baby back then. Never cried, never got angry or anything like that. BUT the flight was still a pain in the butt. It was sooo much stress and we only had one layover. We checked the travel-system at the gate also, but even that was hard to handle sometimes, especially when you had to stay in line ect.

I cant imagine doing all this with a 6months-belly.

I hope it wont be too much stress for you. IMO, you should fly with someone who can help you a little.

Take 2-3 fave toys of your little one and maybe 1-2 other (surprise) toys, for when she is moody. If you have the money to book her an own seat: DO IT! ... it will be too much stress letting her sit on your lap the whole time. Bring some fruits and veggies for her. And for you of course. ;-)

Have a good trip!!! xD
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I am getting ready to fly a 14 hr trip to italy with my two year old, we are army. I got from walmart for like $10 some magnadoodles, and aquadoodles, very small. And right next to those they had these magnets that looked fun. Try small amounts of treats, like the small ziplocs with cheerio's, raisins, grapes. just snacks. books, you have a girl so some dolls. I have been told 2 diff toys an hour so think dollar store and to wrap them and let her unwrap them. I would suggest her own seat as m.robertson suggested. they have these CARES flight harnesses for about $70 and they are next day delivery. Good luck!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Hey I'm a Navy wife in SC too! I bet we're both at NWS. I flew with my daughter at about that age. I would suggest not checking her carseat at the gate, just send it with your luggage, it'll be too much to carry through the airport. Take a stroller, it will save you a lot. Lots of little toys, empty sippy and buy juice once you get through security. If she still has a binky (pacifier) give that to her to suck on during take off and landings. If you have a DVD player, or laptop that could help. Don't forget about diaper changes! One of my flights was pretty bad because it got changed and we didn't have time before to change my daughter's diaper, it leaked and we had already used her extra jeans.. Lots of snacks too! Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2008