What can you do to get a Rose of Sharon bush to bloom earlier in the year?

nananessa

Asked by nananessa at 6:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Not much I think. Here's an excerpt from About.com

Rose of sharon blooms profusely, and its attractive flowers are its main selling point. Like other types of hibiscus, rose of sharon's flowers bear a striking stamen. Another feature giving the shrub value is its relatively late period of blooming (in the Northeastern U.S., it blooms in August). Rose of sharon is thus able to offer color when many shrubs have long ceased blooming. A heat-lover, rose of sharon is also prized by growers in the Southeastern U.S. who crave plants that can stand up to summer's heat. The plant is reasonably drought-tolerant. Don't give up on rose of sharon, thinking it's dead just because it hasn't leafed out by early summer. Rose of sharon not only blooms late, but leafs out late, as well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I was goping to say not much also but then it might depend on where youlive also but I think they are later bloomers. May I ask why you want them to bloom earlier?
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Nothing. When planted outdoors in the ground, you cannot force a plant to bloom out of season.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We have a 10 ft. high hedge row of Blue Bird Rose of Sharon on two sides of our yard (planted on one side, and transplanted a bunch of new sprouts that came from the runners to start a whole new hedge row with a number of specimens left over!) that were started from 4 inch sprouts from a mail order nursery 5 years ago, and we can't stop them from blooming or invading our lawn with new little sprouts! And we have thick clay soil from about 4-6 inches down.

I swear I could sell the new sprouts for a $1 each and make a mint! Hmmmm....maybe that will be my project for next summer! :o)

I'm in eastern PA (Zone 6B) and when they were little and only a couple of feet tall they didn't bloom until August. Now that they're mature, they start blooming in June and are STILL in bloom with hundreds of buds still on them! I do absolutely nothing to them, except hack them back and chop the tops off to keep them hedge like.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Flowers and shrubs have a set time to bloom, a built-in timer, so there's really nothing to make them bloom earlier. Rose of Sharon are slow to bloom, slow to show signs of life in the spring.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't think it's anything you can do to make them bloom earlier.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 10:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010