Reading my sewing machine manuel...

And I am finding it difficult since my machine is in for repairs. I am reading the area were it discusses material thread and needle size. But since I make quilts on my sewing machine; I use cotton.
So I was wondering would cotton be condsidered a light weight or medium weight material? It has examples of material but does not mention cotton.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 6:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• That is a tricky one. I would figure that it would be upon determination. I got a cotton earlier this year that was thin and lightweight (and beautiful!). Then I picked up another cotton that was heavier (using that to make slacks). Just use your best judgement.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Maybe that is why it does not mention cotton. Thanks.
    tryin2BGOOD

Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I've always wanted to learn to sew!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, use your best judgment. Cotton comes in all sorts of sizes. Some thin, others not so thin. Search the internet if unsure...GL
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Most cottons used for quilts are mediumweight. I generally do all my sewing with cotton fabrics with a 12 needle. I only change it up if I am sewing knits or denim.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2010