How do I get my 14month old daughter to start sleeping through the night?

I love my daughter very much and I will get up with her if she cries but sometimes I wish she would start sleeping through the night. She has not slept through the night since I brought her home from the hospital (she was in for 2 1/2 months). I do let her cry it out sometimes and other times its useless and I get frustrated because I loose sleep and can function through the next day plus my husband is hardly home to help because he flies alot. How can I help her sleep through the night??

pookynut567

Asked by pookynut567 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For me with my 2 year old when he was that age, I gave him nap's earlier in the day and would only let him nap for 1-2 hour's, then keep him up playing ( alot of out side play time), by the time dinner roll's around I would feed him and put him to bed, at that point he would be so tired he slept through the night, it was hard though for me at first and him as well, Even still there are time's when he wakes up in the night wanting a sippy cup, but for the most part he's doing really good! I can sleep, it's a wonderful thing. Good luck
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 7:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• In order for "crying it out" to work, you have to be consistent. You have taught her that if she screams long enough or loudly enough, you will give in to her tantrum and get her.

Here are my suggestions:
    Get her into sunlight within one hour of waking up in the morning.
    Get her up at the same time every morning - even weekends.
    Make certain she is up from her nap at least 4 hours before bedtime.
    Have a good activity for right after the nap - trip to the park for example.
    Have a good bedtime routine that you follow every night.
    Get her into bed at a resonable time. Toddlers need 12 to 14 hours of sleep each day, including naptime.
    Tuck her into bed, kiss her goodnight, and leave. Do NOT go back in until morning. Yes, she will throw a fit. If you go back in, you will just reinforce the "scream loud enough and Mommy will come" lesson.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I couldn't handle letting them cry it out. I was a wreck.

What we did with both babies was to play either relaxing music or a sound machine. We found that music with repetitive rhythms would really settle them down - music such as pink floyd, or madonna (the cd that came out in 1997/98). For the sound machine we would use the ocean or cricket sounds.

Hope this helps.
    creative_genius

Answer by creative_genius at 10:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My daughter is 14 months. She still wakes up every once in a while in the middle of the night wanting a drink. I just make sure i feed her a big, filling dinner. then she has a bath with the lavender scented bath wash...after bath she gets the lavender lotion or the massage gel... i make sure to rub a bunch on my arms ..then we read a story and i rock her in the glider (her facing me)so she has no choice but to breathe in the lavender lotion. (either from my arms or her body) and she's usually out for the night. make sure to do the same routine every night at the same time. and they get the hang of it after a while it just comes naturaly. Good luck!!
    HayleesHotMom

Answer by HayleesHotMom at 1:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• probably the best thing, i have found, is to find a schedule for the day for her. And stick to it as best as possible. It seems that my daughter has a problem sleeping if i don't stick to a schedule or if she doesn't have enough time of getting all her energy out. If your child loves playing in water, let her take a nice long bath, with lots of playing and splashing before bed. Also make sure she goes to bed full. My husband is a Marine, and gone quite a lot, so i know how hard it is to be the main one always taking care of your daughter. So if your not getting to sleep through the night, i know how difficult the rest of your day becomes. I pray, for your sake, she starts sleeping through the night. good luck
    constantlymovin

Answer by constantlymovin at 1:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2008