i dont believe in divorce..

i know there are certain exceptions to this, but it seems to me that people are geting divorces over petty things, i think marriage is a lifetime commitment. i understand if you are in an abusive relationship or something then divorce is def. something you should do. but people see it as an answer to ALL there problems, does anyone agree with me?

chloe_romano

Asked by chloe_romano at 10:43 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• Marriage is a sacred thing and A life time commitment.. I see abuse and infidelity as grounds for divorce. and A lot of women have stayed with men after they cheated or vice versa but I just could not.. That is even grounds for divorce in the bible.. But I agree.. It is sacred and A life time thing
    AlexaRhea21

Answer by AlexaRhea21 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree i think you are in it for the long haul, and poeple just get divorced becuase they get tired of it, i really don't believe in it either, but everyone has there reasons.....
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 10:45 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree but in an offbeat sort of way. I do believe there are too many divorces and for petty reasons which has made me come to the personal conclusion that life time committment, although possible, is improbable. Therefore, I no longer burden myself with setting myself up to fail so I don't even consider marriage anymore. One can have a successful long term relationship without benefit of a piece of paper that required/obligates you to be there. Both of my daughters have been in relationships for over ten years and doing well without marriage. It seems to work well for them. They have the respect they deserve and not taken for granted because they are a wife and have to do things. They are there bc they want to be and are appreciated for that.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• its kinda funny...'cuz i'm in the process of getting a divorce now. NOT my choice but unfortunately its happening. I wish my STBX would of come to me..admitted his mistake and at least given us the chance to try to work it out.

I believe marriage is "forever", for better or worse. Of course there are certain situations where divorce IS probably the answer such as abusive relationship ect.
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Too many people hop in and out of marriage these days, every marriage has it's ups and downs but you need to be willing to work at it or why bother even getting married in the first place.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I've been divorced. We had no kids, we were high school sweet hearts that got married young. As we grew up, we didn't want the same things out of our relationship. I was depressed, unsatisfied, miserable. It wasn't working for either of us. He wasn't abusive. He wasn't even really mean. There are a lot of details - but it boiled down to not being what either of us needed. I remarried now, and couldn't be happier. I grew up, I figured out what I needed out of a relationship and I have it now. If my daughter finds herself in my shoes, and I will encourage her not to "settle" for anything less then happiness. Life is too short to stay miserable.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't believe in divorce when it comes to my marriage specifically. When hubby and I got engaged he made it very clear that he will NEVER EVER sign divorce papers. His parents can't stand each other but are still married and he believes that marriage is forever no matter what. I can't say that I believe the same thing for every marriage. There are just certain problems that cannot be worked out; however I believe they probably would never of arose if the couple truly loved each other. I don't think the divorce rate is the problem; I think it is how quickly some people jump into marriage.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I divorced my first husband.He was fooling around on me and wouldn't keep a job.He wanted to spend my money on his mistress.And at the time we had two small kids to raise.I know I did the right thing.But I think you should work it out if it is just petty little things.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:32 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The problem with saying other peoples reasons are "petty" is that you don't know until you're in that situation how they felt, all the details, etc. Sometimes is just as hard to explain why something does work as why it doesn't. Maybe you might think my reasons for divorce were petty -- just because I wasn't being beaten or treated like a dog. Obviously, to the person, it's not petty. It wasn't that long ago women believed you should stay if you were being abused and likely deserved the abuse. *shrug* I'm not saying everyone should run around getting divorces, but I don't believe in staying after you have exhausted reasonable efforts if its just not a good marriage. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:56 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree. I believe that when you get married you need to take your vows very seriously, that even if you fall out of love that you work together and begin the healing process, putting your spouse first. There is always hope for a happy marriage no matter what the situation is. But.... if a spouse chooses to leave, sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop them, and you must let go. No one can force anyone to love them or to stay commited and keep their vows.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2008