Do people respect WAH moms?

It seems like people don't take working from home seriously! I have relatives that stop by without calling first wanting to leave their children at my house and when I say "No. I'm working," they sorta get an attitude, like they don't believe me or like they do't take me seriously! How do maintain good relationships and still be productive working from home?

SweetSmeek

Asked by SweetSmeek at 7:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• They always should call first. Stand ground in letting them know that you working and to not just drop in whenever they want. I do believe you'll be teaching them manners they normally don’t use.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I am a SAHM and I get the same treatment. I feel the same way. I have been treated like I should be at home at all times and able to jump and help at any minute. I think all Mom's feel this way. Too much to get done, too little time and people thinking that they don't have to respect me because I am at home, whether it is taking care of the kids, working, homeschooling, I do want to be respected how the hard work I put in. I have also been a working Mom and it is tough on that end too!!!!
    All Mom's deserve respect! It is a wonderful and very tough job!! AND very frustrating when ppl can't respect us.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I respect all moms. The 'I'm better than you because...' crap around here (at times) gets on my nerves.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Seriously? that's rude. (of them.)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You have to set boundaries, especialy since it's your house. Tell your relatives that from 10-4 (or whatever hours you work) you are "working" and unable to babysit or be disturbed, then simply do NOT answer your phone or the door.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am a WAHM and I homeschool and my MIL still feels the need to drop by unannounced and stay for the entire day - she always leaves about half and hour before hubby is supposed to be home and then it really looks like I've done nothing all day. I have asked her not to do this and to let us know before she comes, but it doesn't do any good. We've started locking the front door and working in the back of the house or upstairs where we are not bothered by someone who doesn't respect our hours.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I worked from home for years (I was in sales). No one seemed to understand that I was working during the week, just like everyone else. I even had my MIL & SIL barge in once when I was on a conference call!!! I finally stopped answering my door, and just locked myself in my office.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I work from home and I don't answer my house phone at all during the day, I have a sign that I hang on my front door that says "working today please do not disturb" and I just don't answer the door. I am not that popular, no one hardly stops by. But just in case it deters them.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010