using breast as pacifier?

Hi! I have a 2 y.o. and a 3 1/2 m.o., and sometimes like to catch a nap while my elder is napping, but this does not always coincide with my baby's naptime. When this happens, I would lie in bed with baby and let her nurse.....this is the only way that she will be quiet enough to allow me to have a rest. Sometimes she is on for 1 to 2 hours - has anyone else ever done this? Is it wrong? Will my baby become overweight? Is she getting milk for the entire time or is she just using the breast as a pacifier? I should mention that I've tried tirelessly to encourage her to take a pacifier - to no avail. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Milk only comes when you let down. You may have multiple let downs. It isn't using your breast as a pacifier, it's sometimes called non-nutritive suckling. You may start to have a lot of milk. If that happens then just use one breast a feeding. Babies are supposed to do this and it doesn't make them fat. My 3 boys spent hours every day nursing and I never had sore nipples. They never took pacifiers.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son does this. He is not overweight and he isn't getting milk the whole time. You can tell by listening to hear for swallowing. I wish he wouldnt' do it, but only because I dont' ALWAYS want to nap with him. He is 21 months and gave up his pacifier a few months ago, but is still happy to use me, for whatever reason. Hav eyou tried different brands of pacifier? My son wasn't too excited about any of them until we got a Nuk, then he was all about it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• well, they do that....it's not uncommon. it will make your nipples get sore though ( i know that from experience lol). i just wait until they're deep asleep and then put my finger in the corner of their mouth to release the nipple. then i pat them on their butt (or rub their back....whatever they prefer) if they stir. the key is to wait until they're deep asleep and to do it quickly how i described. don't just pull it out....that will wake them up and hurt your nipple too. it might take a couple of times to practice, but you'll get the hang of it. my last two were notorious for using me as a binkie. that technique worked for both of them.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010